Ahmedabad, is the largest city in the state of Gujarat and the seventh-largest urban agglomeration in India, with a population of 56 lakhs (5.6 million). Located on the banks of the River Sabarmati, the city is the administrative center of Ahmedabad district, and was the capital of Gujarat from 1960 to 1970; the capital was shifted to Gandhinagar thereafter. The city is sometimes called Karnavati, a name for an older town that existed in the same location; in colloquial Gujarati, it is commonly called Amdavad.
Ahmedabad was founded in 1411 by Sultan Ahmed Shah to serve as the capital of the Sultanate of Gujarat. The city is named after its founder. Under British rule, a military cantonment was established and the city infrastructure was modernised and expanded. Although incorporated into the Bombay Presidency during the British rule in India, Ahmedabad remained the most important city in the Gujarat region. The city established itself as the home of a booming textile industry, which earned it the nickname "the Manchester of the East." The city was at the forefront of the Indian independence movement in the first half of the 20th century. It was the centre of many campaigns of civil disobedience to promote workers' rights, civil rights and political independence.
• Ahmed Shah mosque which is famous for its architecture.
• Akshardham temple one of the well-known temples in Gujarat.
• Rani Rupmati mosque built by Sultan Mehmud Beghara which is named after his wife Rani Rupmati.
• Kankaria Lake an artificial lake with 34 sides built by Sultan Qutab-ud-Din in 1451 A.D.
• Chandola Lake is an artificial lake used for irrigation and industrial purposes.
• NC Mehta Gallery
• Hussain Doshi Gufa
• Darpana Academy of Performing ArtsHistorical Sites
• Bhadra fort constructed during the rule of Marathas in the year 1411 A.D.
• Dada Hari Vav, a richly designed stepped well-built in1501.
• Teen Darwaza, one of the longest and oldest gateways of Ahmedabad constructed in 141 A.D.
• Sabarmati ashram, the home of Mahatma Gandhi.
• Sardar Patel national memorial established in the memory of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.