Places near Amritsar
- Golden Temple - is the main attraction in the city, and the most important religious place to the Sikhs. It's a stunning complex, and always full of thousands of pilgrims from all over India, excited to be at a place that they usually only see on television. The site of the temple was sacred to the Sikhs since the time of the 4th guru, Ram Das. It is a symbol of the magnificence and strength of the Sikh people all over the world. All Sikh people tries to make a visit to the temple and take bath in holy tank of the temple.
- Jalianwala Bagh - Famous for the massacre by General Dyer during British rule, Jalianwala Bagh today is visited by several tourists in Punjab. Located near the Golden Temple, it saw series of bullet shots and bloodshed on the day of Baishakhi on 13 April, 1919 when under the supervision of General Dyer, hundreds of unarmed Indian men, women and children were shot without warning. Today Jalianwala Bagh has become a tourist center but you can still see the marks of bullet on the wall.
- Durgiana Temple - The temple is dedicated to goddess Durga and dates back to 16th century. This Hindu temple also draws its share of visitors. A large temple is dedicated to Hindu deities Laxmi ( The Goddess of wealth) and Narayan. (The Preserver of Universe). All dignitaries visiting Golden Temple make it a point to visit Durgiana Temple also.
- Mata Mandir - This Hindu temple situated at Rani ka Bagh , is similar to the Mata Vaishno Devi temple at Katra(Jammu). The temple draws a large number of devotees from far and near.
- Fort Gobind Garh - In the south-west of the city, has been taken over by the Indian army and is now off limits. It was built in 1805-09 by Ranjit Singh, who was also responsible for constructing the city walls.
- Wagah Border - The retreat ceremony during sunset is the main reason for tourists to visit the Wagah Border. Bordering India and Pakistan, armed soldiers in a parade lower the flag and close the gate. The event takes place in the evening and you can see people from both the country shouting to boost up the energy and to cheer their nation.
- Taren Taran - It is an important Sikh tank about 25km south of Amritsar. There’s a temple, which predates Amritsar, and a tower on the east side of the tank, which was also constructed by Ranjit Singh. It’s said that any leper who can swim across the tank will be miraculously cured.