Bagdogra is a small town located in the Darjeeling district of West Bengal, India. It is primarily known for its airport, the Bagdogra Airport, which serves as a gateway to the popular hill stations of Darjeeling, Kalimpong, and Gangtok. Nestled at the foothills of the Himalayas, the town is enveloped by verdant tea plantations and exquisite forests. The town has a rich cultural heritage and is home to several temples, monasteries, and other historical landmarks. Book Gangtok car rental with Savaari and get the best experience of your trip.
Best time to visit Bagdogra by road:
For a road trip to Bagdogra, the optimal time to visit is during the winter season spanning from October to February. The weather during these months is pleasant, with clear skies and cool temperatures, making it an ideal time to explore the town and the surrounding areas.
Let us help you discover some of the best routes so your trip from Gangtok to Bagdogra by road is nothing short of amazing!
Popular route to take from Gangtok to reach Bagdogra:
The most popular route to take from Gangtok to reach Bagdogra is via the National Highway 10. The distance between the two places is around 125 km, and it takes approximately 4 hours to cover the distance by road. The route is scenic, with beautiful views of the Himalayan mountains and lush green valleys.
Places to visit along the route:
- Rumtek Monastery: Located around 23 km from Gangtok, Ranked among the most significant Buddhist monasteries worldwide, Rumtek Monastery holds great religious and cultural significance. It is the largest monastery in Sikkim and is home to several ancient artifacts, manuscripts, and religious relics.
- Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary: Located around 50 km from Bagdogra, Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary is a popular tourist destination. It is home to several species of birds and animals, including tigers, leopards, elephants, and deer.
- Kurseong: Located around 25 km from Bagdogra, Renowned for its tea gardens, toy train, and picturesque vistas of the Himalayan range, Kurseong is a captivating hill station.
Places to eat along the route:
- Taste of Tibet: Located in Gangtok, Taste of Tibet is a popular restaurant known for its Tibetan and Nepalese cuisine.
- Gompu’s Restaurant: Located in Kalimpong, Gompu’s Restaurant is known for its delicious Chinese and Tibetan food.
- Tin-Tin Restaurant: Located in Kurseong, Tin-Tin Restaurant is known for its Indian, Chinese, and Tibetan cuisine. It is a popular stopover for tourists traveling from Gangtok to Bagdogra.
Download our Savaari car Booking app for a smooth and pleasant journey.