Sonprayag is a scenic town situated in the state of Uttarakhand, India. Located on the banks of the Mandakini River, Sonprayag serves as the gateway to the renowned Kedarnath Temple and is the starting point for the trek to the holy shrine . The town is known for its stunning natural beauty and is a popular tourist destination.
Best time to visit Sonprayag by road:
The best time to visit Sonprayag by road is during the summer months, from May to June, and the autumn months, from September to November. During this time, the weather is pleasant, and the road conditions are good for travel. However, the monsoon season should be avoided as the roads can become slippery and dangerous.
When you book a cab from Haridwar to Sonprayag with Savaari, you can turn you regular drive to a fascinating journey. Here are a few popular routes from Haridwar to Sonprayag
Popular route to take from Haridwar to reach Sonprayag:
- Route 1 – Haridwar – Rishikesh – Devprayag – Srinagar – Rudraprayag – Agastyamuni – Kund – Guptkashi – Sonprayag
This is the most popular and direct route, with a total distance of approximately 215 km. You’ll travel via NH 7 and NH 109, passing through picturesque towns and villages. The journey should take around 8-9 hours, depending on traffic and road conditions.
- Route 2 – Haridwar – Rishikesh – Devprayag – Srinagar – Rudraprayag – Ukhimath – Chopta – Gopeshwar – Chamoli – Birahi – Sonprayag
This is a longer but more scenic route, with a total distance of approximately 250 km. You’ll travel via NH 7 and NH 107, and pass through some of the most beautiful landscapes in the region, including forests, rivers, and mountains. The journey should take around 10-11 hours, depending on traffic and road conditions.
- Route 3 – Haridwar – Rishikesh – Devprayag – Srinagar – Rudraprayag – Tilwara – Agastyamuni – Kund – Guptkashi – Sonprayag
This is a slightly longer route than option 1, with a total distance of approximately 230 km. You’ll travel via NH 7 and NH 109, and pass through some lesser-known but equally charming towns and villages. The journey should take around 9-10 hours, depending on traffic and road conditions.
The most popular way to get Sonprayag from Haridwar is via the NH7 and NH109 highways. The distance between Haridwar and Sonprayag is approximately 222 km, and it takes around 8-9 hours to cover the distance by road. The route passes through scenic countryside and small towns, making the journey enjoyable. You can also opt for a Haridwar car rental service for a memorable road trip to Sonprayag.
It’s important to note that road conditions can vary depending on the season and weather, so it’s always a good idea to check the current conditions before setting out on your journey. Additionally, as the route passes through hilly terrain, it’s advisable to travel during the day and exercise caution while driving.
Places to visit along the route:
- Chandi Devi Temple: Located in Haridwar, this temple is dedicated to Goddess Chandi and is situated atop Neel Parvat, offering a panoramic view of the city.
- Rishikesh: A popular destination for adventure sports and yoga, Rishikesh is also home to ancient temples and ashrams, including the famous Beatles Ashram.
- Rudraprayag: Situated at the confluence of the Alaknanda and Mandakini rivers, this town is known for its ancient temples and scenic beauty.
- Triyuginarayan Temple: Located near Sonprayag, this temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu and is believed to be where Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati got married.
- Kedarnath Temple: One of the twelve Jyotirlingas, this temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and located 3,583 meters above sea level.
Places to eat along the route:
- Hoshiyar Puri: Located on the NH7 highway, this restaurant serves various vegetarian dishes and is a popular stop for travelers.
- Chotiwala Restaurant: Located in Rishikesh, this restaurant serves authentic North Indian cuisine and is known for its delicious food.
- Cafe Nirvana: Located in Rudraprayag, this cafe offers a range of dishes, including Indian, Chinese, and Italian, and is known for its stunning views of the Himalayas.
- Kedarnath Bhojanalaya: Located in Sonprayag, this restaurant offers a range of vegetarian dishes and is a popular spot for pilgrims.
Download our Savaari car Booking app for a smooth and pleasant journey.