Chennai is a city located on the southeastern coast of India. It is the capital of the Tamil Nadu state and one of the largest cultural, economic, and educational centers in South India. Known for its rich history, vibrant culture, and bustling economic activity, Chennai is also a popular tourist destination, attracting visitors with its historic landmarks, beaches, and delicious cuisine.
Table of Contents
- Why travel from Kanchipuram to Chennai?
- Traveling from Kanchipuram to Chennai by car
- Best time to take a road trip by car
- How to Reach Chennai By Train
- How to Reach Chennai By Flight
- Places to eat along this route
- Attractions in Chennai for Sightseeing
- Popular routes from Kanchipuram to Chennai
- Hotels and resorts – Accommodation in Chennai
Why travel from Kanchipuram to Chennai?
Located on the Coromandel Coast of the Bay of Bengal, Chennai is a city that serves as the gateway to South Indian culture. The city has a rich history, having served as a British colonial center and a hub of South Indian classical music and dance. Today, Chennai is a modern metropolis with a thriving automobile, software development, and hardware manufacturing industries. When you take a road trip from Kanchipuram to Chennai, you can enhance your experience by enjoying everything that lies on the way. With a Savaari, you can turn your drive into a fun-filled journey and also customize the trip to your liking, travel time, and budget.
Traveling from Kanchipuram to Chennai by car
The route from Kanchipuram to Chennai passes through important historical landmarks, ancient sites, and small villages, as it cuts through the countryside of Tamil Nadu. Avail a Kanchipuram to Chennai cab service, and enjoy a ride through the cultural corners of this southern state. Along the way, you will pass towns like Sriperumbudur, Sunguvarchatram, and Neervalur. When you book Savaari’s Taxi from Chennai, you get the benefits of a completely customizable trip package, where you can stop by any of these places for a quick sightseeing tour, travel breaks, or just to capture stunning photos.
Important Highway information – Kanchipuram to Chennai
|Highway Number||NH 48|
Best time to visit
Chennai experiences classic tropical weather with hot and humid summers, when the temperatures are harsh. But the winters, on the other hand, are cold and nippy with pleasant weather. The city also receives heavy rainfall during the monsoon season. The best time to travel from Kanchipuram to Chennai is in the colder months, between November and March or between September and October.
Popular route from Kanchipuram to Chennai
Distance and Time taken from Kanchipuram to Chennai via Tambaram – Mudichur – Walajabad Rd/Vandalur – Oragadam – Walajabad Rd
The quickest, most efficient, and optimal way to travel from Kanchipuram to Chennai via Tambaram – Mudichur – Walajabad Rd/Vandalur – Oragadam – Walajabad Rd. Traffic flow between Kanchipuram to Chennai on this route is typical with no significant road obstructions. The approximate distance between the two cities along this route is 85.9 KM and the journey takes a little over 2 hours. For the latest updates on road conditions, it’s advisable to check live maps and traffic reports.
Driver suggested sights/monuments/offbeat places along this route
- Vallakottai Murugan Temple, Vallakottai: A scenic colourful temple dedicated to Lord Murugan. This temple is known for its intricate carvings and stepped tower.
- Arignar Anna Zoological Park, Vandalur: Anna Zoological Park is a wildlife park located in Chennai, India, which offers a home to a variety of animals, including tigers, lions, reptiles, and primates. It is a popular tourist destination and offers educational tours and animal encounters to visitors.
- Kishkinta Amusement park, Varadharajapuram – Kishkinta Amusement Park in Varadharajapuram is a popular destination for families seeking a fun and exciting day out with exciting rides, and other activities.
Popular places to eat along this route where our customers usually stop
- Sri Selva Vinayagar Hotel, Panpavus street: Known for its scrumptious parottas and other vegetarian food, Sri Selva Vinayagar Hotel is a must visit.
- Hotel Manoj, Vandalur – Stop by Hotel Manoj to feast on their lip-smacking masala dosa.
- Noor Biryani Center, Vanjuvanchery – Known for their delicious biryani, Noor Biryani Center is a must visit restaurant for all the foodies travelling on this route.
“My driver recommended trying out the mutton biryani at the Noor Biryani Center, which was simply divine! The experience made me realise that there are a lot of underrated cuisines waiting to be discovered, and that a road trip is the greatest way to sample them.”Rashid Kamran
Kanchipuram to Chennai Road Condition
Route 1 from Kanchipuram boasts excellent road conditions with typical traffic and tolls, but no roadblocks.
Kanchipuram to Chennai Best Route
Kanchipuram via Tambaram – Mudichur – Walajabad Rd/Vandalur – Oragadam – Walajabad Rd is the shortest and best route to travel between Kanchipuram and Chennai. It is also the fastest, because the Kanchipuram to Chennai traffic on this route is regular, and there are no road closures. Moreover, for a better commute, always check live maps and instant traffic updates for the latest information on Kanchipuram to Chennai road conditions.
Other means of traveling from Kanchipuram to Chennai
Taking the train is another option for travel between Chennai and Kanchipuram. There are 25 trains available that travel between the two cities. The fastest train, the TAMBARAM-CHENNAI BEACH LOCAL (40108), takes approximately 30 minutes to reach Kanchipuram. The travel time can range from 1 to 3 hours depending on the train and route chosen.To book your Kanchipuram to Chennai train ticket, you can visit an online travel portal or the Indian Railways website to find the best deals. To ensure that you have the most up-to-date and accurate information on Kanchipuram to Chennai train schedules, always consult the IRCTC timetable before booking.
There are no flights between Kanchipuram to Chennai as the Chennai International airport services both Kanchipuram and Chennai.
The bus route from Kanchipuram to Chennai is a convenient and cost-effective mode of transportation for travelers. The journey takes about 1.5 to 2 hours, depending on traffic conditions. Buses from the Tamil Nadu State Transport Corporation (TNSTC) and private operators run regularly on this route, providing a comfortable and reliable option for travelers.
Price comparison for choosing different travel means
|Means of transportation||Time taken via each of these means||Price|
|Kanchipuram to Chennai by train||1 hour 40 minutes||₹500-800 per person|
|Kanchipuram to Chennai by bus||2 hours||₹700 per person|
|Kanchipuram to Chennai by flight||No flight||No flight|
|Kanchipuram to Chennai by cabs||2 hr 19 mins||₹2240 for 4 pax|
Though taking the bus from Kanchipuram to Chennai is the cheapest option, the comfort and convenience provided by booking a cab are incomparable. Choosing a car rental service like Savaari gives you all the mobility and privacy you need, without digging deep into your pockets. It is a convenient way to get around without resorting to the hassles of public congestion and the various stops that come with public transportation. When you take a road trip with Savaari, you can take several detours, learn about cultures, and experience local cuisine. You can opt for a round trip on all routes or a one-way drop, where you will be charged only for the distance travelled and save half of the total round-trip cost, with no extra charge and no cancellation. You can explore everything that comes on the way to your destination comfortably and make the most of your road trip.
Attractions in Chennai for Sightseeing
Chennai, the capital city of Tamil Nadu, is a vibrant and dynamic metropolis known for its rich cultural heritage, historical landmarks, and natural beauty. From its pristine beaches to its revered temples, Chennai offers a unique blend of traditional and modern attractions. The city also boasts several parks and green spaces, and is a hub for art and music, with numerous galleries and performance spaces. Whether you are interested in history, culture, or nature, Chennai has something for everyone to discover and appreciate.
- Fort St. George – An historic fort and museum that was built in 1644 and was the first English settlement in India.
- Kapaleeswarar Temple – An ancient Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Shiva, located in the Mylapore neighborhood of Chennai.
- Government Museum Chennai – A large museum that houses a collection of over 40,000 artifacts and exhibits on the art, culture, and history of South India.
- Mahabalipuram – A UNESCO World Heritage site that is famous for its rock-cut temples, carved cave shrines, and beautiful shore temples.
- San Thome Basilica – A Roman Catholic Basilica that is believed to be built over the tomb of St. Thomas, one of the apostles of Jesus.
- Marina Beach – A large and popular beach that runs along the Bay of Bengal and is a popular destination for picnicking and sunbathing.
- Elliot’s Beach – A quieter alternative to Marina Beach, with a laid-back atmosphere and great sunset views.
- Thousand Lights Mosque – A large mosque in Chennai that is considered to be one of the largest in South India.
- Sri Parthasarathy Temple – An ancient Hindu temple that is dedicated to Lord Krishna and is located in the Triplicane neighborhood of Chennai.
- National Art Gallery – A museum that displays Indian art and sculptures from ancient times to the modern era.
Savaari’s customer recommends – Popular places to eat in Chennai
Chennai has become a melting pot of cultures due to its diverse population coming from all over India. This diversity has resulted in a range of cuisines being available in the city, with South Indian cuisine being the most prevalent.
These are some of the best-rated places to eat in Chennai
- Buhari Hotel
- Anjappar Chettinad Restaurant
- Saravana Bhavan
- Sangeetha Vegetarian Restaurant
- Hotel Ambassador Pallava
- Kailash Parbat
- Surya Indian Cuisine
- Hotel Gowri Shankar
- Woodlands Drive-In Restaurant
Hotels and Resorts in Chennai
|Sheraton Grande Hotel Chennai||1/1, Nabhikhan, Shaik Ali Subedar St, near Nehru Indoor Stadium, Periyamet, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600003•096771 65873|
|Lemon Tree Hotel, Chennai||72, Sardar Patel Rd, Venkta Puram, Guindy, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600032•044 4423 2323|
|The Park Chennai||601, Anna Salai, near US Embassy, Gangai Karai Puram, Nungambakkam, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600006•044 4267 6000|
|ibis Chennai Sipcot||ibis Chennai Sipcot, Old Mahabalipuram Road, opp. Sipcot It Park, near State Highway 49, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 603103•044 6744 477|
|Hyatt Regency Chennai||365, Anna Salai, Rostrevor Garden, Teynampet, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600018•044 6100 1234|
Nearby road trips from Chennai
From historical ancient towns to exotic beaches, there are endless possibilities for long vacations or quick weekend getaways from Chennai, every few hundred miles. With Savaari’s car rental service in Chennai, you can easily and comfortably explore all the gorgeous locales and even land at the country’s southern and easternmost borders in no time. Check out the best road trips you can embark on for a quick weekend getaway from Chennai.
|Route||Distance||Best time to visit|
|Chennai to Pondicherry||165 kms||October to March|
|Chennai to Mahabalipuram||56 kms||October to March|
|Chennai to Yelagiri||230 kms||October to January|