The land of beaches, Goa is one of Mumbai’s top weekend getaways. All travel enthusiasts have driven down to Goa from Mumbai. Lying on the west coast, Goa is one of the smallest states in India known for its laid back beaches, delectable seafood, dirt cheap alcohol, crazy rave parties, world-class spas, casinos and Portuguese heritage. Goa offers everything!
Table of Contents
Why travel from Mumbai to Goa?
Every place in Goa has its own uniqueness and what better way to explore Goa than with Savaari’s Mumbai to Goa cab. With a long list of places to explore in Goa, use this ready-made guide from Savaari when you take a road trip from Mumbai to Goa. Here we take you through two gorgeous routes that have some breathtaking monuments, some hidden gems, along with eateries to help you take home one of the best experiences. Let’s get started!
A road trip from Mumbai to Goa by car is very scenic. The mesmerizing beauty of the Western Ghats will be your constant companion when driving down from Mumbai to Goa. The party capital of India, Mumbai to Goa distance is less than 500 km by road. When you take a road trip from Mumbai to Goa, you can enhance your experience by enjoying everything that lies on the way. Book Innova Taxi in Mumbai With Savaari with a Savaari,and turn your drive into a fun-filled journey and also customize the trip to your liking, travel time, and budget.
Traveling from Mumbai to Goa by car
By taking a road trip from Mumbai to Goa, you get to plan the journey well in advance which is a great way of exploring places nearby. You also get to explore every nook and corner, experience every detail of the local culture and take detours according to one’s convenience and travel plans. With our completely customizable Mumbai to Goa trip packages, you can stop at any of these places and do a quick sightseeing. Experience the joy of being on the road by booking a cab in Mumbai from Savaari and expect our chauffeurs to take you around like a pro!
Quick Facts about Mumbai to Goa
|Road Distance from Mumbai to Goa||587 kms|
|Aerial Distance from Mumbai to Goa||440 kms|
|Travel Time for Mumbai to Goa by Road||13 hours|
|Travel Time for Mumbai to Goa by Train||10 hours|
|Travel Time for Mumbai to Goa by Flight||1 hours and 20 minutes|
|Best Routes||Mumbai to Goa via NH48|
|Mumbai to Goa via Bengaluru-Mumbai-Pune Highway|
|Best time to visit||December – January and February – June|
Best time to take a Road Trip from Mumbai to Goa
December and January are considered the best time to visit Mumbai to Goa by car. However, being the busiest season in Goa, it is advised to plan well in advance – preferably a month or two in advance. If you wish to avoid the peak season crowd in Goa, then planning a trip during February and June would be quite ideal. Avoid monsoon months in Goa as the roads between Mumbai and Goa may pose a challenge due to heavy rains.
Route 1: Mumbai to Goa Via NH 48
Mumbai to Goa Distance Via NH 48
This is the shortest and the best route to travel between Mumbai and Goa. It is also the fastest, because the Mumbai to Goa traffic on this route is regular and there are no road closures. The distance between Mumbai and Goa on this route is somewhere around 604 KM and takes about 12 hours. Always check live maps and instant traffic updates for the latest information on Mumbai to Goa road conditions.
Here’s the basic route map from Mumbai to Goa
|Panvel — Lonavala — Kamshet — Khandala — Satara — Kolhapur — Sankeshwar — Belgaum — Khanapur — Mollem|
Popular Places along the way:
- Karnala Bird Sanctuary: Birding enthusiasts will find this place interesting for there are many different species of birds to admire here.
- Imagica Theme Park: Visit Imagica Theme Park for thrilling indoor and outdoor roller coasters.
- Khandala: When in Khandala, visit Duke’s Nose, Valley Point, Amrutanjan Point and Tiger’s Leap.
- Kune Waterfall ViewPoint: Dropping down from a height of 200 meters at a cohesive force, the three-tiered waterfall is the country’s 14th largest.
- Lohagad and Rajmachi Fort: The ancient forts deserve a visit for the rich history attached to them as well as for the scenic views they afford.
- Bedsa Caves: Dating back to 60 BC, Bedsa Caves are one of the oldest in Maharashtra.
- Kaas Pathar Plateau: The enormous bowl of flowers, Kaas Pathar is a valley of flowers, much like the one in Uttarakhand.
- Kolhapur: Stop here for the gorgeous temples, a little bit of history and lots of good food. Also famed for its sandals and spices, Kolhapur deserves every bit of your time.
- Belgaum: Still not high on the popularity charts, Belgaum is full of treasure troves. Some of the places you must include in your itinerary are – Dudsagar, Gokak Falls. Shri Malikarjuna Temple, and Belgaum Fort.
- Bhagwan Mahaveer Wildlife Sanctuary: Enjoy a wildlife safari here.
Places to eat along the way:
- Kamats Restaurant: Stop here for breakfast.
- Utopia Dine High: A fine dining restaurant serving continental as well as Indian food.
- Mapro Garden: Stop here for amazing grilled sandwiches.
- Rangla Punjab: Savour the authentic North Indian cuisines here.
- Simply Delicious: A small cake shop en route, stop here to try their freshly baked tea cakes.
- Thorat’s Barbeque Misal: Their missal pavs have rave reviews on Google.
- Hotel Maratha Gaoran: Stop here if you wish to try authentic Maharashtrian food.
- Sai Garden Resto: Your best around the area for a wholesome meal.
- Rajpurohit Rajasthani Gujarati Shudh: Stop here if you wish to try authentic Rajasthani and Gujarati meals.
- Paratha Corner: Try delicious parathas at this restaurant in Belgaum.
Mumbai to Goa Road Condition via Route 1:
This is the fastest route to travel from Mumbai to Goa and is used by most travelers. This route has standard highway tolls and the road conditions are better since there are no road closures.
Route 2: Via Bengaluru-Mumbai-Pune Highway
Mumbai to Goa Distance Bengaluru-Mumbai-Pune Highway
This is a longer route to travel from Mumbai to Goa than the previous one and also takes a little more time. Also, the road conditions on this route are variable. The distance from Mumbai to Goa on this route is around 575 KM and takes a little over 13 hours. To avoid road closures, always check for latest updates and follow a live map when traveling to get the best idea of Mumbai to Goa road conditions.
Here is the basic roadmap of the route-
|Mumbai — Navi Mumbai — Lonavala — Satara — Karad — Kolhapur — Sankeshwar — Belgaum — Mollem|
Popular Places along the way:
- Sarasgad and Sudhagad Forts: Trek the Sarasgad and Sudhagad Forts in Durshet. There are also plenty of adventure sports such as rappelling, trekking and river crossing to enjoy in Durshet.
- Mahad: Popular among trekkers, Mahad should be in your itinerary if you wish to trek the Gandharphale Caves. These caves are believed to be built in one night by the Pandavas of Mahabharata.
- Chiplun: A very interesting stopover. Spend time at the Guhagar Beach, admire the architecture at Parusharama Temple, and trek the Nageshwar Temple.
Places to eat along the way:
- Rainbow Food Park: Your Pizza cravings can be well taken care of here. Do try their Tandoor Tea.
- Baithak Dhaba: Quite a hit among regulars, Baithak Dhaba has a great menu for both veg and non-vegetarian food.
- Popular Veg: Serving tasty veg snacks, stop here for Poha and stuffed puris.
- Dehaati: A well-known restaurant in Kolhapur, stop at Dehaati for authentic Maharashtrian food.
- Veer Cafe: Grab some freshly brewed coffee here. Their hot chocolate is pretty good too.
Mumbai to Goa Road Condition via Route 2:
This is a slightly longer and slower route to travel from Mumbai to Goa. This route also has standard highway tolls and the road conditions are good since there are no road closures.
Mumbai to Goa Best Route
Both the routes have excellent road conditions. However, the route via NH 48 takes lesser time. You can take any of the two routes based on the live traffic updates available on the day of your trip.
Other means of traveling from Mumbai to Goa
How to Reach Goa by Train
You can also cover Mumbai to Goa distance by train. There are around 13 trains running from Mumbai to Goa on a daily basis. The train time from Mumbai to Goa can vary from eight to nine hours, depending on the train you take. The fastest train now is the 22119 KRMI TEJAS EXP. For updated train timings for Mumbai to Goa, visit IRCTC and follow their latest timetable. You can also directly book a Mumbai car rental from Savaari to reach your destination.
How to Reach Goa By Flight
Mumbai to Goa are well connected via flights. The nearest major airport to Mumbai is Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport Mumbai (BOM / VABB). This airport is 16 km from the centre of Mumbai. Goa is served by Goa (GOI) Airport, which is 28 km away from the city centre. The Mumbai to Goa flight ticket price ranges from Rs 2000 – Rs 4000. The duration of the flight is about one to two hours. Get more details on the website of various Indian airlines as well as several online portals.
Explore Goa Like a Local: A Handy Guide
With a coastline stretching for over 100 kilometers, Goa has numerous beaches that are perfect for relaxing, water sports as well as crazy parties by the beach. Having a serene atmosphere with a hint of western culture in the traditional land of India, this unparalleled state has become one of the most popular and preferred tourist destinations for all types of travellers. Here’s Savaari’s guide to exploring Goa like a local.
Attractions in Goa for Sightseeing
Those looking to unwind and relax by the beach should head to some of the popular beaches of Goa including Anjuna Beach, Aguada Beach, Candolim Beach, Sinquerim Beach, Palolem Beach, Agonda Beach, Colva Beach. While those travellers looking for beach parties can choose to head to Baga and Calangute Beach. And those looking for less-crowded beaches should relax at Mandrem Beach which is calm and soothing.
People looking to admire the architecture, you must not miss out on places like the Basilica of Bom Jesus, Se Cathedral, Church of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception, Church of St. Francis of Assisi, and Church of St. Cajetan.
The state boasts the historic forts which stand erect to this day. Some of these forts you must include in your itinerary are Corjuem Fort, Reis Magos Fort, Cabo Fort, Chapora Fort, Aguada Fort, Terekhol Fort and Mormugao Fort.
Adventure junkies love Goa for reasons more than one. One can indulge in water sports activities such as parasailing, windsurfing, water skiing, and dinghy sailing. The prominent destinations in Goa where tourists can enjoy these activities include the Dona Paula Bay for windsurfing and dinghy sailing, water skiing in Candolim Beach, Calangute Beach for parasailing, water scooter ride in Dona Paula Jetty. Also, one can even indulge in Angling in Agonda Beach.
And lastly, for the wildlife buffs, Goa has wildlife reserves where one can spot a variety of rich flora and fauna. The popular wildlife sanctuaries to cover in Goa include Mhadei Wildlife Sanctuary, Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary, Bhagwan Mahaveer Sanctuary & Mollem National Park, Netravali Wildlife Sanctuary and Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary.
Places to Eat in Goa
- Goan and Thai Cuisine – Cantare
- Continental – The Black Sheep Bistro, Martin’s Corner, Bay 15,
- Seafood – The Lazy Goose
- Burmese – Bomra’s
- Italian – Ciao Bella
- Israeli and Mediterranean – Artjuna Art Cafe, Purple Martini
- Greek – Thalassa
- South Indian – Gunpowder
Hotels and Resorts – Accommodation in Goa
|Hotel Name||Address||Phone Number|
|DoubleTree by Hilton||Kadamba Plateau Panjim, Old Goa Rd, Goa Velha, Goa 403006||0832 249 1900|
|Casa Menezes – A Heritage Goan Homestay||304, Gaunkarvaddo, Batim, PO Goa Velha Tiswadi, Panaji, Goa 403108||090497 66766|
|Grand Hyatt Goa||P.O Goa University, Road, Bambolim, Goa 403206||0832 664 1234|
|Café Amrapali||Amrapali, 1105 Morgado Vaddo, Maina, Goa 403108||074982 65731|
|Casa Britona||H. No. 217, Near, Charmanos, Badem, Britona, Alto Porvorim, Salvador do Mundo, Goa 403101||070309 13923|
Nearby Road Trips From Goa
|Goa to Gokarna||134 km||3 hours|
|Goa to Mahabaleshwar||388 km||8 hours|
|Goa to Pune||440 km||9 hours|
|Goa to Coorg||478 km||10 hours|
|Goa to Bangalore||557 km||11 hours|
Download our Savaari car Booking app for a smooth and pleasant journey.