Chennai is the capital of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is located on the Coromandel Coast of the Bay of Bengal and is the largest city in Tamil Nadu. It is home to many historical landmarks and cultural institutions, including Fort St. George, Marina Beach, Kapaleeshwarar Temple, and St. Thomas Mount.
- Why travel from Tirupati to Chennai?
- Traveling from Tirupati to Chennai by car
- Best time to take a road trip by car
- Popular routes from Tirupati to Chennai
- How to Reach Kochi By Train
- How to Reach Chennai By Flight
- Popular Places to eat in Chennai
- Attractions in Chennai for Sightseeing
- Hotels and resorts – Accommodation in Chennai
Why travel from Tirupati to Chennai?
Chennai is home to a rich cultural heritage, with many temples, churches, and historical landmarks to explore. When you take a road trip from Tirupati to Chennai, you can enhance your experience by enjoying everything that lies on the way. With a Savaari, you can turn your drive into a fun-filled journey and also customize the trip to your liking, travel time, and budget.
Travelling from Tirupati to Chennai?
A trip from Tirupati to Chennai by car is one of the best ways to explore this route. The road to Chennai from Tirupati passes through small towns and villages of Tamil Nadu and southern Andhra Pradesh. For a hassle-free experience, book a cab with Savaari and let our courteous drivers show you the best of South India. Thus, experience the joy of being on the road by booking a cab from Savaari.
Important Highway Information from Tirupati to Chennai
|Tirupati to Chennai Highway
|National Highway 716A
|NH – 716A
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit Chennai by car is from October to February. During this time, the weather is pleasant and cool. It is advisable to avoid the summer months from April to June. The excessive heat makes the journey extremely uncomfortable and also takes away the joy of exploring nearby places. Monsoons can also be an ideal time to embark on a road trip like this. Let us talk about a few routes that one could take from Tirupati to reach Chennai. Let us also mention some of the popular places along the way, so you know exactly where to stop.
Distance Related Details about Tirupati to Chennai
|Road Distance from Tirupati to Chennai
|Aerial Distance from Tirupati to Chennai
|Travel Time for Tirupati to Chennai
|3 hours and 46 minutes
|Travel Time for Tirupati to Chennai by Train
|3 hours and 40 minutes
|Travel Time for Tirupati to Chennai by Flight
|1 hours and 30 minutes
|Tirupati to Chennai Via NH 716A
|Best time to visit
|November to February
Popular Routes from Tirupati to Chennai
Route 1: Distance and time taken from Tirupati to Chennai
This is the shortest and the best route to travel between Tirupati to Chennai. It is also the fastest because the traffic on this route is regular and there are no road closures. The distance between Tirupati to Chennai on this route is somewhere around 133 KM and takes roughly three and a half hours. Always check live maps and instant traffic updates for the latest information on road conditions.
Popular sights/monuments that you will encounter along this route
- Puttur – It is a small scenic town known for its natural lakes and views of hills.
- Kailasakona Waterfalls, Chittoor – Scenic all-year waterfall observation area at the bottom alongside swimming and walking trails.
- Sri Bhavani Periyapalayath Amman Temple, Periyapalayam – Ancient Hindu temple dedicated to goddess Bhavani and known to be the family deity of many devotees.
- Palem Range, Uthukottai – Expansive stretch of forests with wooded trails and deciduous plants, good for a quick drive around or a short trek.
Places to eat along this route
- Meat & Eat, Puttur – Local fast-food chain serving fried chicken and quick meals.
- Maruthi Veg Restaurant – Roadside dhaba with a well-maintained garden for taking a stroll and purchasing organic vegetables from their nursery. Good for South Indian delights.
- Fresh Dhaba, Vijayanallur – Standard highway-side dhaba serving North and South Indian meals, good for late-night stops and big groups.
Tirupati to Chennai Road Condition via Route 1
The Tirupati to Chennai road condition via route 1 is excellent. It is the fastest route, has tolls, and no road closures.
Route 2: Distance and time taken from Tirupati to Chennai via NH 716
This is a longer route to travel from Tirupati to Chennai than the previous one and also takes a little more time. Also, the road conditions on this route are variable. The distance from Tirupati to Chennai on this route is around 150 KM and takes almost four hours. To avoid road closures, always check for the latest updates and follow a live map when travelling to get the best idea of road conditions.
Here’s the basic route map from Tirupati to Chennai
Popular sights/monuments that you will encounter along this route
- Highway Grand World, Veerakaverirajupuram – Local water and amusement park with rides and food options, great for kids and a fun break.
- Arulmigu Thiruthani Murugan Temple, Thiruthani – Local temple and sacred site, sitting on a hilltop, good for views, a short trek, or a quick tour.
- Chembarambakkam View Point, Chembarambakkam – A pier and boardwalk on the river, offering stunning views of sunrise/sunset, good for photo ops.
Places to eat along this route
- Five Star Chicken, Puttur – Local fast-food chain serving fried chicken and quick meals.
- Sangeetha Pure Veg Restaurant, Veerakaverirajupuram – Standard highway-side eatery serving pure vegetarian snacks, and beverages, good for quick stops.
- Amudham Multi-cuisine Restaurant, Thiruthani – Restaurant in a hotel, serving a la carte and buffet meals, good for families, kid-friendly.
- Lamiya Multi-cuisine Restaurant, MGM Nagar – Casual, a local diner serving a variety of vegetarian and non-vegetarian food.
Tirupati to Chennai Road Condition via Route 2
The Tirupati to Chennai road condition via route 1 is good but it is the longer route and takes more time. It has tolls and possible road closures.
Tirupati to Chennai Best Route
Both the above routes are good for travelling from Tirupati to Chennai. Route 2 has more food options but also takes longer. Route 1 is a little more scenic and is faster. So, if you want to save time and have a scenic drive, take Route 1 otherwise, take Route 2 for good spots for food along the way.
Other means of travelling from Tirupati to Chennai
You can also travel from Tirupati to Chennai by train. There are 6 weekly trains and 3 daily trains that run from Tirupati to Chennai. The train distance from Tirupati to Chennai is about 789 KM and could take between 13 to 16 hours, depending on the train. The fastest train is TIRUPATI EXP (12603). For all train bookings visit any online travel portal or Indian Railways’ website for the latest information.
|22920 – ADI MAS HUMSAFA
|2 hour and 35 minutes
|06052 – ADI MAS SPL
|2 hour and 40 minutes
|19420 – ADI CHENNAI EXP
|2 hour and 50 minutes
|11073 –LTT CHENNAI EXP
|2 hour and 55 minutes
You can also travel from Tirupati to Chennai. The pilgrim town is served by Renigunta Airport (TIR). But flights can take more than driving hours. Unless you are flying from another city/town, the best option to travel from Tirupati to Chennai is to rent a car/book a cab. For all Tirupati to Chennai flight booking, you can visit the website of any airline or any online travel portal for the best deal.
Explore Chennai like a local
The country’s fourth largest city and the capital city of Tamil Nadu, Chennai as a city is so diverse that you may have to extend your stay to imbibe it all. Chennai’s magnificent past has left traces of history in every nook and corner, and we will help you discover it all. From historical ancient towns to exotic beaches, there are endless possibilities for long vacations or quick weekend getaways from Chennai, every few hundred miles. Check out the best road trips you can embark on for a quick weekend getaway from Chennai.
Attractions in Chennai for Sightseeing
- A visit to Chennai would be incomplete if you don’t visit Marina Beach. Apart from being the longest beach in India, Marina Beach offers a host of activities of which, karting is the most popular. Walk towards the north side of the beach for an amazing time karting on the beach with your friends. You can also visit the Light House which is now finally open to the public.
- Try your hand at surfing at Covelong beach. The best part about this beach is that it has a surf school to help you understand the basics of surfing. In case surfing is not your thing, you may try other water sports too.
- When in Chennai, the list of beaches is never-ending. One very important stopover is Elliot beach. It is one of the cleanest beaches in Chennai and is perfect for a quiet walk in the evening. There are amazing eateries on and around the beach serving lip-smacking dishes to give you the best taste of Chennai.
- Head to Arignar Anna Zoological Park and Guindy National Park for a wildlife safari.
- Visit the Kapaleeswarar temple devoted to Lord Shiva and appreciate the architecture of the temple which was built in Dravidian style back in the 7th Century BC.
- Get out of the hustle and bustle of the city with a visit to the peaceful Pulicat Lake Bird Sanctuary, home to over 100 species of birds including flamingos, egrets, herons, sandpipers, and many more. This is one of the most famous bird sanctuaries in India and the second-largest brackish water ecosystem in the country.
- Finally, for some shopping time, Thyagaraya Nagar, popularly known as simply T. Nagar is the place to be. You get everything under the sun here be it jewellery, fabrics, handicrafts, clothing, or food.
Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Chennai
- Chinese and Thai – Robot
- Italian and Continental – Amelie’s Cafe and Creamery
- North Indian – Royal Indiana, Animal Kingdom, Once Upon a Time, Pind
- Multi-cuisine – Lobby Cafe
- Russian and Continental – Winter Palace
- South Indian – Annalakshmi Restaurant
Hotels and resorts – Accommodation in Chennai
|Radisson Blu Hotel
|Ethiraj Salai, Egmore, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600008. PH: 044 3040 4444
|The Pride Hotel
|216, E V R Periyar Salai, Near Sangam Cinema Poonamalle, High Road, Kilpauk, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600010 PH: 044 4398 9898
|Grand Cascade Hotels
|27/28, V.V. Kovil Street Opp. Ripon Building 03, Behind S.R Guest House, Periamet, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600003. PH: 044 4310 0038
|No 601, Anna Salai, Near US Embassy, Gangai Karai Puram, Nungambakkam, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600006. PH: 044 4267 6000