As the capital city of Himachal Pradesh, Shimla is one of the oldest and the most popular hill stations in Northern India. With stunning views of the Himalayan peaks, alpine forests, and an undeniable colonial charm; Shimla is truly the Queen of the Himalayas. The bustling Himalayan town of Shimla is the perfect order among chaos, albeit with breathtaking views of mountains and valleys. From the golden sunshine in the summers to the charming, white wonderland of the winters, every season paints a different picture. Let’s see why you should one should travel from Delhi to Shimla at least once.
Table of Contents
- Why travel from Delhi to Shimla?
- Traveling from Delhi to Shimla?
- Best time to take a road trip by car
- How to Reach Shimla By Train
- How to Reach Shimla By Flight
- Attractions in Shimla for Sightseeing
- Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Shimla
- Hotels and resorts – Accommodation in Shimla
- Nearby Roadtrips
Why travel from Delhi to Shimla?
Like the destination, the journey to Shimla is also magical and equally interesting when taking a road trip from Delhi. When you book a cab with Savaari, you can turn your ride into an experiential journey by customizing the trip to your liking and enjoying interesting pit stops en route.
Traveling from Delhi to Shimla by Car
A trip from Delhi to Shimla by car is the best way to travel and experience the journey. With our Delhi to Shimla tour packages, you can make it an exciting journey. On your Shimla trip from Delhi, you will pass through the villages of Haryana and Punjab, and the hilly locales of Himachal.
Thus, experience the joy of being on the road by booking a cab from Savaari and cover the Delhi to Manali distance in optimal time. Let us help you discover the best way for a memorable and fulfilling Delhi to Shimla trip by road.
Quick Facts about Delhi to Manali
|Road Distance from Delhi to Shimla||343 kms|
|Aerial Distance from Delhi to Shimla||277 kms|
|Travel Time for Delhi to Shimla by Road||7 hours and 20 minutes|
|Travel Time for Delhi to Shimla by Train||9 hours and 40 minutes|
|Travel Time for Delhi to Shimla by Flight||1 hours|
|Best Routes||Delhi to Shimla Via NH 44 and NH 5|
|Best Time to visit||December – January and March – June|
Best time to Take a Road trip from Delhi to Shimla by Car
The best time to travel to Shimla from Delhi by car is between March and June when the temperatures are perfect for long journeys and nature is also in full bloom in the hills. However, if you like to experience the winter chills, you can travel during the holiday season (December and January). The road distance is roughly 342 km. If traveling in winter, snowfall in some parts of Himachal can impact the itinerary. Take the following road route for the best travel experience.
Best Route: Distance and time taken from Delhi to Shimla via NH 44 & NH 5
Delhi to Shimla distance Via NH 44 & NH 5
This is the best route and the only tried and tested highway route to cover the Delhi to Shimla distance. You will find very light traffic on this route, except when there are sudden closures for roadwork. You can also book a cab in Delhi and enjoy your journey to the fullest.
Delhi to Shimla road conditionsVia NH 44 & NH 5
Before you travel, always check for live traffic updates or real-time maps to get a better idea of the Delhi to Shimla road condition. Here’s a basic road map for this route:
|Delhi — Panipat — Karnal — Kurukshetra — Ambala — Chandigarh — Kalka — Solan — Shimla|
Places to see on Delhi to Shimla Road Route
- Panipat – Take a tour of the historic battlefield of Panipat and its associated memorial and museum.
- Kurukshetra – You can visit the tranquil Brahma Sarovar and sites from Mahabharat.
- Chandigarh – If you have time, you can take a quick tour of India’s most planned and beautiful city and see its iconic monuments.
- Kalka – The Sukhna Wildlife Sanctuary is another popular place to visit and explore the local avifauna and other wildlife.
- Famous for Kalka-Shimla single-gauge railway and Sukhna Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Parwanoo – Known for fruit farming, Parwanoo is lined with orchards, where you can stop by for fresh fruits and fruit-based goodies.
- Kasauli – The Gilbert Trail is a famous nature trail for walks and watching the sunset on the hills.
You can also go through our Delhi travel guide for your Delhi to Shimla itinerary.
Places to eat on this route
- Haveli, Murthal, Haryana – landmark highway side family restaurant and food complex with themed setting and plush interior which explains why it’s always busy.
- Amrik Sukhdev, Sonipat, Haryana – popular and busy highway side eatery with multi-cuisine buffet and a la carte options, good for families and large groups.
- Pooran Singh Da Dhaba, Ambala Cantt., Ambala – family-owned old dhaba famous for home-style lunches.
- Stop by the famous ‘Chana Kulcha’ vendor in Kandaghat, if crossing around evening.
Delhi to Shimla toll charges: Rs. 280 (one way)
Rent a car in Delhi to explore this route and enjoy your journey to the fullest.
Other means of travelling from Delhi to Shimla
How to Reach Shimla By Train
You can also cover the Delhi to Shimla distance by train. However, there are no direct trains from Delhi to Shimla. You can take an express train from Delhi to Kalka and from Kalka, you can take the singe-gauge trains. For train booking, you can visit the website of Indian Railways or any online travel portal for the best deals. The train fare will depend on the train route you choose and the season of travel. The train journey time can range from 10 hours to 23 hours, depending on the train.
There are 17 weekly trains between Delhi and Kalka, of which, 7 run on a daily basis. From Kalka, there are about 5 trains that go to Shimla daily. The fastest train from Delhi to Kalka is KALKA SHATABDI SUPERFAST EXP (12011). For updated train timings, visit IRCTC and check the latest timetables.
How to Reach Shimla By Flight
You can cover the Delhi to Shimla distance by booking a flight. The nearest airport is Shimla Aiport (SLV). The average flight duration is 1 to 2 hours, depending on the airline route. The flight cost can range from 1500 to 5000, depending on the booking window, available deals, and travel season. For your flight booking, visit any airline website or online travel portals for the best deals.
Explore Shimla Like a Local: A Handy Guide
One can spend an entire week exploring the city but Shimla is not just about the Mall Road or sitting at the Ridge. For a perfect Shimla tour, you have to explore beyond the city and head into the quaint villages and hilly hamlets that dot this region. Make the most of your Shimla trip with our tips and suggestions. You can always book a tempo traveller in Delhi in case you are travelling in a large group.
Attractions in Shimla for Sightseeing
Some of the most popular and prominent places for Shimla sightseeing are Jakhoo Temple, Kali Bari Temple, Christ Church, The Ridge, and Himachal State Museum.
You can also visit the meadows of Annandale which also houses a golf course and offers scenic mountain views. Shimla tourism also offers scenic treks to Chadwick Falls and Summer Hills near the town.
Things to keep in mind when touring Shimla
- If you are traveling in winter, carry ample warm clothes, since nighttime temperatures can drop dramatically.
- For trekking expeditions, it is better to sign up with a local trek/adventure group or get a guide who can take you around.
- If you are doing day trips around the town you can also leave early and use the maximum daylight hours.
- Also, do a tour of Naldehra for the ultimate mountain holiday experience.
- If you are traveling in summer, then do visit the Shimla Reserve Forest Sanctuary and experience Himalayan wildlife.
Please make sure to keep these pointers in mind for your Delhi to Shimla itinerary.
Popular Places to Eat in Shimla
- Sita Ram and Sons, Lakkad Market
- Café Shimla Times, Hotel Willow Banks,
- Cecil Restaurant, The Mall, Mall Road.
- Himachali Rasoi, Middle Bazar, Mall Road.
- Café Sol, Mall Road.
- Ashiana Grand, Ridge, Mall Road.
- Hideout Café, Adjacent to the fire station, The Mall.
- Eighteen 71 Cookhouse & Bar, Near Tourism Lift Hotel Willow Banks.
Hotels and Resorts – Accommodation in Shimla
|Shimla Havens Resort||Village – Gahan, Gahan Road, Post, Summer Hill, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh 171005.PH:098160 91066|
|The Chalet’s Naldehra||Shimla – Tatapani – Mandi Road, Durgapur, Shimla, Naldehra, Himachal Pradesh 171007. PH:0177 274 7715|
|Woodsmoke Resort & Spa||Village Anandpur, P.O, Shoghi, Himachal Pradesh 171219. PH:098168 98166|
|Woodville Palace Hotel||Raj Bhawan, Road, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh 171002. PH:0177 262 3919|
|Koti Resorts||Sadhora,Baldeyan, Mashobra-Naldehra Road, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh 171007. PH:092185 01601|
Nearby Road Trips from Shimla
|Shimla to Kufri||15 km||36 mins|
|Shimla to Chail||45 km||2 hours|
|Shimla to Narkanda||60 km||2 hours|
|Shimla to Parwanoo||80 km||2 hours|
|Shimla to Chandigarh||110 km||3 hours|
|Shimla to Jibhi||154 km||5 hours|
|Shimla to Mcleodganj||238 km||6 hours|
|Shimla to Manali||245 km||7 hours|
|Shimla to Mussoorie||257 km||7 hours|
Download our Savaari Taxi booking app for booking your Delhi to Shimla cab.