Bangalore – a city that was once recognized by its tech industry, is now a colorful collage of cultures and businesses, making the Silicon Valley of India the most vibrant metro city of the south. An IT hub, Bangalore is one of the poster cities for urban India. Chennai to Bangalore is the busiest road route in India.
Table of Contents
- Why travel from Chennai to Bangalore?
- Traveling from Chennai to Bangalore by car
- Best time to take a road trip from Chennai to Bangalore
- Popular Routes from Chennai to Bangalore
- How to Reach Bangalore By Train
- How to Reach Bangalore By Flight
- Attractions in Bangalore for Sightseeing
- Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Bangalore
- Hotels and resorts – Accommodation in Bangalore
Why travel from Chennai to Bangalore?
Why take a road trip from Chennai to Bangalore? Here are some of the reasons to make you embark on one very soon, if you haven’t already.
The Silicon Valley of India is now not just a tech-driven, nerd-friendly city anymore, but has become a colorful kaleidoscope of cultures with people flocking in from all over the country, and abroad. With its colonial heritage running through its veins and the millennial lifestyle adding its own quirks as well as charm, the metro city of Bangalore today can be defined as a vibrant travel destination.
But imagine making this experience more interesting, by driving down from another southern metro and seeing the transition of landscape and cultures. When you book a Chennai taxi service with Savaari, you can turn your regular road trip into an interesting journey. With completely customizable options, you can make stopovers at other tourist locales, while you also enjoy a comfortable ride.
Traveling from Chennai to Bangalore by car
A road trip from Chennai to Bangalore is certainly one of the best ways to explore these two cities. From one metro to another, the route passes through some of the most interesting locales and significant historical sites of Tamil Nadu and Karnataka.
With our fully customizable Chennai to Bangalore trip packages and Chennai car rental service, you can not only stop at as many places as you want, but you can also take detours for hidden gems or even stay overnight at places of your interest.
Let us help you discover the best routes so you can plan an exciting trip between the two iconic cities.
Best time to take a road trip from Chennai to Bangalore
Since Bangalore is roughly 1000 feet from the sea and surrounded by the hills of Western Ghats, the city enjoys pleasant weather all year round.
The winters are cool and breezy and summers, on the other hand, are warm but not humid like most cities in India. Monsoon, however, can be rough and the city experiences heavy rainfall from July to September. So, if you want to experience the best of Bangalore, plan your travel between October and February.
Popular Routes from Chennai to Bangalore
Route 1: Distance and Time taken from Chennai to Bangalore via NH 48/Mumbai-Bangalore Highway
Since this is the fastest and shortest route, it is usually used by most tourists and weekend travelers. The distance between Chennai and Bangalore via this route is approximately 346 Km and thus takes about six to seven hours to cover the distance.
Also, the traffic is lesser on this route compared to other routes. However, whenever you travel, it is always advisable to check live traffic updates or follow a real-time map to get the latest information about the road condition.
Here’s a basic Chennai to Bangalore road map for this route:
|Chennai — Sriperumbudur — Kanchipuram — Ranipet — Vellore — Ambur — Vaniyambadi — Krishnagiri — Hosur — Bangalore|
Popular places along the way:
- Kailasanathar Temple, Kanchipuram – The 1300-year-old historic temple is the highlight of the temple town. While here, you can also explore other ancient temples, religious sites, and discover the classic Indian architecture. Don’t forget to sample the local food and buy some of the finest textiles.
- Vellore Fort, Vellore – The 400-year-old fort is not just a historical structure but also an important chapter of Indian history. A city of temples and forts, you can plan an entire day trip and touch upon some of the popular sites in Vellore.
- Ambur – Famous for leather goods, the old trading town is also a good stopover to shop.
- Krishnagiri Fort, Krishnagiri – The rocky landscape of the Krishnagiri envelops the famous Krishnagiri Fort, which is a must-see on your way to Bangalore.
- Choodeshwara Temple, off Hosur – The colorful ancient temple is an interesting site to stop. Hosur also serves as the gateway to Bangalore.
Places to eat on this route:
- Saisangeet Vegetarian Restaurant, Between Vaniyambadi and Ambur – Local highway-side restaurant serving pure vegetarian fare, good for families as well as big groups.
- Saravana Bhavan, Krishnagiri – Local restaurant chain serving authentic South Indian meals and sweets.
- A2B Restaurant, Hosur – Popular and hygienic highway side eatery serving vegetarian snacks and meals, good for kids and families.
Route 2: Distance and Time taken from Chennai to Bangalore via NH 48 & NH 45.
This is a shorter but slower route between Chennai and Bangalore. Most travelers usually prefer the previous route. Also, the Chennai to Bangalore traffic might be much higher on this route.
On this route, Chennai to Bangalore distance is approximately 335 KM and therefore takes nearly eight hours. Whenever you travel, it is always advisable to use a real-time map and check for traffic updates to get the best idea of the road condition.
Here’s a basic Delhi to Haridwar road map for this route:
|Chennai — Sriperumbudur — Kanchipuram — Palamaner — Mulbagal — Hoskote — Bangalore|
Popular Places along the way:
- Kailasanathar Temple, Kanchipuram – Stop at the 1300-year-old historic temple, which is the highlight of the temple town. Also, explore other ancient temples and discover the classic Indian architecture. You can sample some of the local food or shop from the local market.
- Chandragiri Fort, Chittoor – You can take a detour from the highway towards Chittoor and stop at the legendary Chandragiri Fort.
- Garuda Swamy Temple, Mulbagal – An unassuming town full of temples, Mulbagal is the perfect place to explore local history. The Garuda Swamy Temple is visually the most delightful, in addition to other ancient temples.
Places to eat on this route:
- VIT Food Court, off NH 75, near Vellore – Busy highway side food court with multiple food options, good for late-night snacking or dining.
- Vasudev Adiga’s, Venkatpura – Popular local restaurant with casual dining, serving all meals from breakfast through dinner, also good for families.
Other means of traveling from Chennai to Bangalore
You can also cover Chennai to Bangalore distance by train. There are about 22 trains that run between these two cities weekly, of which 7 trains are available daily.
The fastest train is the KSR BENGALURU – MGR CHENNAI CENTRAL SHATABDI EXPRESS. For Chennai to Bangalore train booking, you should visit the Indian Railways website or check any online travel portal to get the best deals.
However, if you choose to travel from Chennai to Bangalore via train, the journey can be 5 to 8 hours long depending upon the train you choose. For the most updated Chennai to Bangalore train timings, always check the latest timetables of IRCTC before booking.
There are several airlines that fly daily, multiple times a day between Chennai and Bangalore. The nearest airport is Kempegowda International Airport (BLR), which is about 40 KM from the city center.
The average Chennai to Bangalore flight duration can range from 1 hour to 5 hours, depending on the airline you choose. In case you wish to travel via flight, you can visit any online travel portal for the best deal or check the website of the airline you prefer the most.
The flight ticket from Chennai to Bangalore may cost you anywhere between INR 1500 to 8000, depending upon a lot of factors such as the travel season, booking window, available deals etc.
Explore Bangalore Like a Local: A Handy Guide
The tech city of India is anything but a cluster of swanky concrete structures, like you would imagine. Instead, you would find plenty of open spaces, gardens, lakes, along with beautiful colonial structures that suit its moniker of the ‘Garden City’. Sitting in the heart of South India, flanked by all the states of the region, Bangalore and its vicinity is blessed with endless natural and man-made wonders, making this the perfect starting point for uncountable road trips and places to visit nearby. With wide stretches of national and state highways crisscrossing the state, you can be anywhere, anytime, within a few hours’ drive. Check out the best road trips you can embark on for a quick weekend getaway from Bangalore.
With our tips and suggestions, explore these places and make your Bangalore tour worthwhile.
Attractions in Bangalore for Sightseeing
- If New York City has Central Park, then Bangalore has Cubbon Park. The biggest patch of greenery right in the middle of the city makes for the most refreshing start of Bangalore tour.
- Continue with your nature exploration of the metro with the Lalbagh Botanical Garden, Ulsoor Lake-the biggest water body of Bangalore, Bannerghatta National Park.
- Explore the city’s history at the Jayachamarajendra Museum & Gallery and follow it with a splendid architectural tour of the city assembly hall- Vidhan Soudha, the historical Bangalore Palace, Bangalore Townhall, Daly Memorial Hall, Omkar Clock Tower, and St. Mary’s Basilica, to name a few.
Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Bangalore
As a result of being a cosmopolitan metro city, Bangalore’s food culture is influenced by all the communities that have settled in the city for generations.
However, if you must dig out the local specialty, then you will find it in the South Indian food fare in varieties of idli, dosa, vada, and more, along with Mughlai fare of biriyanis, kebabs, and desserts.
Therefore, to sample the best of classic and contemporary, Indian and international cuisines, explore these places in Bangalore.
- Cubbon Pavilion, Residency Road
- Yauatcha Bangalore, Halasuru
- Karavalli, Residency Road
- Caperberry, Vittal Mallya Road
- Vidyarthi Bhavan, Gandhi Bazaar Main Road
Hotels and resorts – Accommodation in Bangalore
|Ramada Encore||282 – 285, Intermediate Ring Rd, Amarjyothi Domlur, 1st stage, Vyalikaval HBCS Layout, Civil Area, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560071 PH: 080 4060 2020|
|Purple Lotus||46, 6th Cross Rd, Shanthala Nagar, Ashok Nagar, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560001 PH: 080 4005 6300|
|Laika Boutique Stay||51/24, Rathna Avenue, Richmond Rd, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560025 PH: 094828 06630|
|Holiday Inn Express & Suites||Ward No.94, #16/1, Seshadri Rd, Gandhi Nagar, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560009 PH: 080 4620 5900|
|Fab Hotel Oriental Suites||No 8, Mosque Rd, opp. J&K Bank, Cleveland Town, Pulikeshi Nagar, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560005 PH: 070424 24242|
Download our Savaari car booking app for a smooth and pleasant journey