Often referred to as the “queen of hills,” Darjeeling is renowned for its lush green tea gardens, stunning landscapes, picturesque valleys, and vibrant culture. Tea estates surround the town and are home to the world’s finest tea. Darjeeling is also famous for its UNESCO heritage Toy Train and the scenic views of the majestic Kanchenjunga mountain, the third-highest peak in the world, as well as the sunrise from Tiger Hill.
If you’re planning to visit Darjeeling and looking for information on how to reach Bagdogra, the nearest airport, we’ve got you covered. This blog has all that you need to know about the Bagdogra to Darjeeling route, distance, time, and other relevant information.
Table of Contents
- Why travel from Bagdogra to Darjeeling?
- Traveling from Bagdogra to Darjeeling by car
- Best time to take a road trip by car
- Popular routes from Bagdogra to Darjeeling
- How to Reach Darjeeling By Flight
- How to Reach Darjeeling By Train
- Attractions in Darjeeling for Sightseeing
- Places to eat along this route
- Hotels and resorts – Accommodation in Darjeeling
Why travel from Bagdogra to Darjeeling?
Traveling from Bagdogra to Darjeeling is not only convenient but also offers a host of reasons to make it a top choice for travelers. Bagdogra, being the nearest airport to Darjeeling and located just around 65 km away, makes the journey to this picturesque hill town a breeze, taking approximately 3-4 hours by road. You can also hire a Darjeeling car rental for best the travel experience.
Here are some compelling reasons why traveling from Bagdogra to Darjeeling is a fantastic idea:
- Scenic Beauty: Get ready to feast your eyes on breathtaking views of the mighty Himalayas, enchanting tea gardens, winding roads, quaint villages, and lush green forests as you travel from Bagdogra to Darjeeling.
- Ease of Travel: With multiple modes of transportation, including shared cabs, taxis, and buses, it’s easy to travel from Bagdogra to Darjeeling. Choose the option that fits your budget and preferences, and you’ll be on your way in no time.
- Comfortable Journey: The well-maintained road from Bagdogra to Darjeeling ensures a comfortable journey. You can take pit stops along the way to enjoy the scenery, stretch your legs, and savor a delicious meal.
- Save Time: Compared to other modes of transportation like trains or buses, traveling from Bagdogra to the “queen of hills” can save you time, allowing you to make more pit stops or cover more locations during the trip.
Traveling from Bagdogra to Darjeeling by car
Embarking on a journey from Bagdogra to Darjeeling is a delightful experience, with scenic vistas and interesting pit stop along the way. Bagdogra, a quaint town in West Bengal’s Darjeeling district, serves as the main gateway to various tourist destinations in the region, and Darjeeling is a must-visit among them. The most convenient mode of travel is by car, taking approximately 3-4 hours to cover the 65 km distance, depending on road conditions and traffic. You can also book a taxi and transform your trip from Bagdogra to Gangtok into a fun-filled journey without worrying about time and expenses.
|Highway Name||Bagdogra to Darjeeling Highway|
|Alternate Name||Hill Cart Road|
|Highway Number||NH – 110|
The highlight of the journey is the picturesque Hill Cart Road, also known as National Highway 110, which offers breathtaking views of the majestic Himalayan mountains. The well-maintained road ensures a comfortable and safe drive for travelers, with ample opportunities to stop and admire the scenic beauty. Along the way, one can explore the charming town of Kurseong, famous for its tea gardens and old heritage railway station. Ghoom, another noteworthy stop, is home to the renowned Ghoom Monastery and the Batasia Loop, a mesmerizing viewpoint that offers panoramic vistas of the surrounding mountains.
Traveling from Bagdogra to Darjeeling by road is not just a mode of transportation or a matter of convenience. It is a scenic and enjoyable experience that lets travelers soak in the cultural richness and natural beauty of the region.
Best time to visit Darjeeling from Bagdogra
The best time to plan a visit from Bagdogra to Darjeeling is between October and May each year. During this period, the weather here is pleasant and comfortable, with temperatures normally ranging from 10°C to 20°C. The skies are clear, allowing travelers to enjoy the stunning views of the surrounding mountains to the fullest.
However, it’s important to note that Darjeeling experiences heavy rainfall and frequent landslides during the monsoon season. The roads can become treacherous during this time, affecting outdoor activities and making it less ideal for travel. Therefore, it’s recommended to avoid visiting Darjeeling during the monsoon season.
The winter season in Darjeeling starts in December and lasts till February and can be quite chilly, with temperatures dropping as low as 2°C. However, if you enjoy cold weather and want to experience snowfall in nearby areas, this period can be a great time to visit.
- Peak: October to May
- Optimal: December-February
- Avoid: June-September
Quick facts about Bagdogra to Darjeeling
|Road Distance from Bagdogra to Darjeeling||68 km|
|Aerial Distance from Bagdogra to Darjeeling||37 km|
|Travel Time for Bagdogra to Darjeeling||2 hours and 32 minutes|
|Best Routes||Bagdogra to Darjeeling via NH 110|
|Best Time to Visit||April to June, October to December|
Popular Routes from Bagdogra to Darjeeling
Route 1: Distance & time taken from Bagdogra to Darjeeling via NH 110
The distance between Bagdogra and Darjeeling via NH 110 is approximately 68 kilometers, and the estimated travel time is around 3 hours. This route is the quickest and most suitable way to travel between Bagdogra and Darjeeling.
The journey along NH 110 is not only convenient but also incredibly scenic, passing through lush green forests, winding roads, and beautiful tea plantations, offering stunning views of the valleys and mountains. The route is an adventure in itself, with numerous viewpoints and attractions along the way where travelers can stop and enjoy the natural beauty of the region.
However, it’s recommended to check instant traffic updates and live maps for the latest information on Bagdogra to Darjeeling road conditions, especially during the monsoon season when landslides can occur. Staying informed about road conditions can help ensure a safe and enjoyable journey.
Driver suggested Sights/Monuments/Offbeat places along this Route
- Kurseong: Located midway between Bagdogra and Darjeeling, Kurseong is a charming hill station known for its tea gardens and scenic views. Here, you can visit the Kurseong Tourist Lodge, Giddapahar Durga Mata Temple, and the Eagle’s Crag viewpoint for a panoramic view of the mountains.
- Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary, Siliguri : The Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary is a must-visit for all wildlife enthusiasts. The sanctuary is situated in Siliguri and includes a variety of flora and fauna, including elephants, tigers, and several species of birds.
- Ghoom Monastery, Ghoom: Ghoom, one of the oldest Tibetan Buddhist monasteries located here. It is a peaceful place to visit for all travelers. The monastery has a 15-foot-tall statue of the Maitreya Buddha and houses several ancient manuscripts.
- Batasia Loop, Ghoom: Batasia Loop is situated near Ghoom and is a spiral railway track that offers stunning views of the surrounding hills and valleys. You can also visit the War Memorial here, which is dedicated to the Gorkha soldiers who lost their lives in various wars.
- Tiger Hill, Darjeeling: Tiger Hill is a popular tourist spot known for its panoramic views of the mighty Kanchenjunga mountain, situated just 11 kilometers away from Darjeeling. The hill is also famous for its sunrise view, and tourists love the sight every time they visit the place.
Popular places to eat along this route where our customers usually stop
- Gitanjali Restaurant: Located in Kurseong, Gitanjali Restaurant is a popular eatery known for its delicious local food, including momos, thukpa, and chow mein.
- Stop ‘n’ Dine: Stop ‘n’ Dine is a popular food joint for tourists along the way to Darjeeling. It serves a variety of cuisines that make for comfort food during chilly weather conditions.
- Keventer’s: Keventer’s is a legendary establishment in Darjeeling and a must-visit for breakfast. Known for its hot chocolate, sandwiches, and breakfast platters, it’s a popular spot for locals and tourists alike.
- Glenary’s: Glenary’s is another iconic eatery along the route known for its bakery items and desserts. With a charming old-world ambiance, it serves a variety of cuisines, including Indian, Chinese, and Continental.
- Kunga Restaurant: Kunga Restaurant is a popular Tibetan restaurant in Darjeeling, known for its delicious momos, thukpa, and other Tibetan delicacies. The cozy ambiance and coordinated staff make it a must-visit for foodies.
- Nathmulls Tea Junction: Nathmulls Tea Junction is a perfect place for tea lovers, offering numerous tea varieties famous in the region, including Darjeeling tea. It also serves snacks and sandwiches, making it a great spot for a tea break during your trip.
“I recently visited Kunga Restaurant in Darjeeling, and I was blown away by the authentic flavors and scrumptious dishes they offered. Among their many culinary delights, the Chicken Steamed Momos were an absolute standout! The delicate dumpling skin was perfectly steamed to a soft and chewy texture, while the filling of succulent chicken was seasoned to perfection with fragrant herbs and spices. The accompanying dipping sauce added an extra burst of flavor to each bite. I couldn’t help but indulge in multiple servings of these delectable momos as they were simply irresistible.”Sruthi Mohan
Bagdogra and Darjeeling road condition via route 1:
This is the fastest route to travel from Bagdogra and Darjeeling and is used by most travelers. This route has standard highway tolls and the road conditions are better since there are no road closures.
Route 2: Distance & time taken to travel from Bagdogra to Darjeeling via Bagdogra-Panighata main road and NH 110
The distance between Bagdogra to Darjeeling via Bagdogra-Panighata Main Road and NH 110 is approximately 64.9 kilometers, and the estimated travel time is around 2 hours and 37 minutes. This route is known for its scenic beauty, offering panoramic views of the mountains, tea gardens, and lush greenery.
Starting from Bagdogra, the route passes through the charming town of Kurseong, where you can take a break and enjoy a cup of tea at one of the famous tea estates. As you ascend toward Darjeeling, you’ll come across several scenic viewpoints, including the famous Batasia Loop and the Ghoom Monastery.
It’s important to note that road conditions can vary, so it’s advisable to check for instant traffic updates and live maps for the latest information, especially during the monsoon season when landslides can occur.
You will get the same tourist destinations and restaurants as you take the second route from Bagdogra to Darjeeling by road.
Bagdogra to Darjeeling road condition via route 2:
This is a slightly longer and slower route to travel from Bagdogra to Darjeeling. This route also has standard highway tolls and the road conditions are better since there are no road closures.
Most preferred route from Bagdogra to Darjeeling by Savaari Customers
Both the above routes are good for traveling from Bagdogra to Darjeeling. However, if you want to save time and still have a scenic drive, then the route via Matigara is your best option
Other means of traveling from Bagdogra to Darjeeling
The closest airport to Darjeeling is Bagdogra Airport, which is approximately 68 km away. Bagdogra Airport has regular flights from major cities in India, such as Kolkata, Delhi, Mumbai, and Guwahati. You can check online travel portals for flight timings and fares, and once you arrive at Bagdogra Airport, you can hire a reliable Bangalore to Darjeeling taxi for a convenient ride to your hotel.
While Darjeeling is not directly connected by train, you can get a train to New Jalpaiguri (NJP) Railway Station, which is the nearest railway station to Darjeeling, which is approximately 70 km away. NJP Railway Station is well-connected to major cities in India, including Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, and Chennai. You can check IRCTC for updated train timings and book tickets accordingly. From NJP Railway Station, you can hire a taxi to reach Darjeeling.
Price comparison for choosing different travel means
|Means of transportation||Time taken via each of these means||Price|
|Bagdogra to Darjeeling by train||48 minutes||Rs. 505|
|Bagdogra to Darjeeling by bus||35 minutes||Rs. 400|
|Bagdogra to Darjeeling by flight||No flight||No flight|
|Bagdogra to Darjeeling by cabs||2 hr 32 mins||Rs. 4464|
Though taking the bus from Bagdogra to Darjeeling is the cheapest option, the comfort and convenience provided by booking a cab are incomparable. Choosing a car rental service like Savaari gives you all the mobility and privacy you need, without digging deep into your pockets. It is a convenient way to get around without resorting to the hassles of public congestion and the various stops that come with public transportation. When you take a road trip with Savaari, you can take several detours, learn about cultures, and experience local cuisine. You can opt for a round trip on all routes or a one-way drop, where you will be charged only for the distance travelled and save half of the total round-trip cost, with no extra charge and no cancellation. You can explore everything that comes on the way to your destination comfortably and make the most of your road trip.
Popular sightseeing attractions in Darjeeling
- Darjeeling Himalayan Railway: It is also known as the “Toy Train” and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It allows travelers to watch the beautiful tea plantations and lush green forests while taking an amazing train ride that offers stunning views of the Himalayas.
- Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park: One of the most famous parks in the region, Padmaja Naidu Zoological Park houses a variety of wildlife, including the endangered Himalayan black bear, red panda, and snow leopard.
- Japanese Peace Pagoda: The Peace Pagoda in Darjeeling acts as a symbol of peace and harmony for the local people. It is a beautiful white structure that offers breathtaking views of the hills and valleys in the nearby areas.
- Happy Valley Tea Estate: One of Darjeeling’s oldest tea estates, Happy Valley Estate is known for producing some of the best tea in the world. Visitors can take a tour around the estate and learn about the tea-making process in detail.
- Mahakal Temple: The Mahakal Temple is located on one of the hilltops of Darjeeling and is dedicated to Lord Shiva. It is a famous pilgrimage site for Hindus.
- Ghoom Monastery: The Ghoom Monastery is one of the oldest Tibetan Buddhist monasteries in Darjeeling and is home to a beautiful statue of Maitreya Buddha.
Savaari’s customer recommends – Popular places to eat in Darjeeling
Some of the best-rated places to eat in Darjeeling are:
- Sonam’s Kitchen
- Nathmull’s Tea Room
- Golden Tips Tea Cosy
Hotels and Resorts in Darjeeling
|Hotel/Resort Name||Address||Phone Number|
|MAYFAIR Hill Resort Darjeeling||27X7+GPM The Mall, opposite Governor House, Chauk Bazaar, Darjeeling, West Bengal 734101||0354 225 6376|
|Windamere Hotel||Mall Rd, Chauk Bazaar, Darjeeling, West Bengal 734101||0354 225 4041|
|Cedar Inn||Dr. Zakir Hussain Rd, Jalapahar, Darjeeling, West Bengal 734101||354 22 54446|
|Glenburn Tea Estate||Near Singritan, Darjeeling, West Bengal 734101||033 2288 5630|
|The Elgin||18, HD Lama Road, Chauk Bazaar, Darjeeling, West Bengal 734101||354-2257227|
|Sinclairs Darjeeling||18/1, Gandhi Rd, Limbugaon, Darjeeling, West Bengal 734101||354 225 6432|
|Central Heritage Resort & Spa||The Mall Road, Robertson Rd, Darjeeling, West Bengal 734101||079 4704 4330|
Download our Savaari car Booking app for a smooth and pleasant journey.
Nearby Road Trips from Darjeeling
|Darjeeling to Gangtok||96.2 km||3 hr 42 mins|
|Darjeeling to Kalimpong||51.3 km||2 hr 17 mins|
|Darjeeling to Siliguri||62.5 km||2 hr 36 mins|
Whether you want to catch the sunrise at Tiger Hill, take a ride on the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, explore the wildlife at Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park, or simply enjoy the tranquility of the Japanese Peace Pagoda, Darjeeling has plenty of attractions to offer. You can also visit the Happy Valley Tea Estate, Mahakal Temple, and Ghoom Monastery to experience the unique culture and heritage of the region.
With our Savaari car booking app, you can travel at your own pace and explore the beauty of Darjeeling at your convenience. So, plan your road trip from Bagdogra to Darjeeling and make your journey memorable with Savaari!