Siliguri, a city on the banks of the river Mahananda, is situated between the Himalayan foothills and the Dooar region of West Bengal. Known as the Gateway to North-East India, Siliguri also serves as a base for other major tourist destinations in the vicinity. However, Siliguri in itself is a perfect holiday destination with plenty to explore.
Why travel from Darjeeling to Siliguri?
The deep-seated heritage and the colorful local culture are what make Siliguri a real thing of beauty. So why not enjoy the beauty slowly and gradually, as you take a road trip from the nearby city of Darjeeling? When you take a road trip from Darjeeling to Siliguri, you can enhance your experience by enjoying everything that lies on the way. With a Savaari, you can turn your drive into a fun-filled journey and also customize the trip to your liking, travel time, and budget.
Travelling from Darjeeling to Siliguri by car
The road between Darjeeling to Siliguri makes for one of the most scenic drives in the state. With our customized Darjeeling to Siliguri tour package, you can enjoy the ride through steep, winding, mountain roads lined with alpine forests. Along the way, you will pass interesting places like Sonada, Kurseong, and Jorpokhri Wildlife Sanctuary. With our completely customizable Darjeeling to Siliguri trip packages, you can stop at any of these places and do a quick sightseeing. Savaari curated a video travel guide on North Bengal, that gives you several reasons why North Bengal should be on your travel bucket list. Let us help you discover the best routes to travel from Darjeeling to Siliguri by car.
Best Time To Visit
Winter, from October to February, is the ideal time to visit Siliguri. Temperatures drop to 8 to 10 degrees Celsius, and there are occasional light showers and thick fog in certain areas, especially in the early mornings. Summers and monsoons are much hotter and more humid, therefore they should be avoided if you want to travel comfortably.
Popular Routes from Darjeeling to Siliguri Route 1: Distance and Time Taken from Darjeeling to Siliguri via Matigara – Kurseong Road & NH110
This is the shortest and the only route to travel between Darjeeling to Siliguri. It is also the fastest, because the Darjeeling to Siliguri traffic on this route is very minimal and there are no road closures. The distance between Darjeeling to Siliguri on this route is approximately 63 KM and takes about two and half hours to reach. Always check live maps and instant traffic updates for the latest information on Darjeeling to Siliguri road conditions.
Here’s the basic route map from Darjeeling to Siliguri:
|Darjeeling — Sonada — Chatakpur Forest — Baman Dhura Forest — Kurseong — Rohini Tea Garden — Siliguri|
Popular sights/monuments that you will encounter along this route
- Salamander Lake, Ring Tong Tea Garden – A local lake surrounded by terraced farms, tea gardens, and valleys, good for a short break to freshen up.
- Paglajhora Falls, Shibkhola Tea Garden – A natural cascade tucked within the hills of Kurseong, surrounded by dense bluffs and pine forests, good for tea breaks, and day treks.
- Eagle’s Crag, Kurseong – A scenic viewing point with an observation tower, atop a rugged cliff offering stunning views of the surrounding valleys and hills, good for a day tour, best for sunrises.
- Rohini Park, Rohini Tea Garden – A local park with winding roads overlooking tea gardens, villages, and valleys, good for a refreshing break or day picnic.
Places to eat along this route
- Milan Café and Restaurant, Maharani Tea Garden – Highway side café serving mini-meals, snacks, and other café food, tea and coffee, good for breakfast, lunch, groups, and kid-friendly.
- Café Kurseong Diaries, Kurseong – Fine dining restaurant with mountain views, good for families and groups.
- Hungry Lion, Kurseong – Locally popular café serving quick meals, fast food, tea and coffee, good for lunch, dinner, tea breaks, and kid-friendly.
- Army Fastfood Corner Complex, Simulbari Tea Garden – A small local eatery serving fast food, snacks, and beverages, good for quick stops.
Darjeeling to Siliguri Road Condition on this Route
The road conditions from Darjeeling to Siliguri on this route are excellent. It is the fastest and the only route, has regular highway traffic, despite some tolls on the way, but there are no road closures on this route.
Darjeeling to Siliguri Best Route
This is the only route to travel from Darjeeling to Siliguri, as of now. There might be other unlisted routes through local roads and villages, but this is the most established and widely used route by travelers and regular commuters. So, this seems to be the best way to travel between Darjeeling to Siliguri.
Other means of traveling from Darjeeling to Siliguri
Siliguri Junction is one of the major and second largest railway stations that serve the city of Siliguri located in Darjeeling. There are various trains that you can take to reach Siliguri. You can also directly hire a car rental in Darjeeling to reach Siliguri.
For all train bookings from Darjeeling to Siliguri, visit any online travel portal or Indian Railways’ website for latest time table and other updates.
There is no flight service between Darjeeling to Siliguri. The nearest airport is only Siliguri at Bagdogra Airport, 43 km away. You can fly to Bagdogra from anywhere in West Bengal or other major towns/cities in India. You can also directly book a cab in Siliguri to reach your destination.
Attractions in Siliguri for Sightseeing
Siliguri is a large city in West Bengal that forms part of the “Twin Cities” alongside Jalpaiguri, the district capital.
- Jaldapara National Park – The Jaldapara National Park, earlier known as Jaldapara Wildlife sanctuary is on the banks of Torsa River in North West Bengal.
- Kanchenjunga stadium – It is a multipurpose stadium within the city mainly used for cricket and football matches.
- Mirik – Mirik is an absorbing hill station that has risen to join the ranks of must-visit destinations for visitors exploring West Bengal.
- ISKON temple – Also known as Sri Sri Radha Madhav Sundar Mandir, this temple was built by ISKCON, which stands for International Society for Krishna Consciousness.
Hire a car rental in Siliguri to visit these major tourist places.
Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Siliguri
Siliguri food is a canvas of its own. The food scene of Siliguri is a fascinating mix of the old colonial flavors, and local Nepalese, Tibetan, and Bengali, as well as a touch of international flavors owing to its huge tourist community.
Sample the local flavors at some of these best restaurants in siliguri –
- The Yellow Chilli, Bankim Nagar
- Dhaba By Amber, Khalpara
- Punjabi Kadai, Bankim Nagar
- The Gourmet Central, Patiram Jote
- Netaji Cabin, Hakimpara
Book a cab in Siliguri to visit these major eateries.
Hotels and Resorts in Siliguri
- Chamong Chiabari Mountain Retreat And Spa
- Aranya Jungle Resort
- Green Lagoon Resort
- Singtom Tea Estate And Resort
- Central Heritage Resort