Jaisalmer is home to the Great Indian Desert, which offers endless opportunities for outdoor adventures like desert camping, star gazing, camel safari, and camel rides. A visit to Jaisalmer is an opportunity to immerse in the magic of cultural heritage, indulge in sightseeing, and spend time in the beauty of a royal locus. Jaisalmer is easily accessible from Jaipur, Jodhpur, Ahmedabad & Delhi by road.
- Why travel from Jaipur to Jaisalmer?
- Traveling from Jaipur to Jaisalmer by car
- Best time to take a road trip by car
- Other means of traveling
- How to Reach Jaisalmer By Train
- How to Reach Jaisalmer By Flight
- Attractions in Jaisalmer for Sightseeing
- Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Jaisalmer
- Hotels and resorts – Accommodation in Jaisalmer
- Nearby Road trips
Why travel from Jaipur to Jaisalmer?
The Golden City of Jaisalmer lies in the heart of the Thar desert, home to endless dunes and rich heritage. The ethereal Havelis and landmarks are a sight to behold, a true treat for lovers of history and all things magnificent. When you take a road trip from Jaipur to Jaisalmer, you can enhance your experience by enjoying everything that lies on the way. With a Savaari, you can turn your drive into a fun-filled journey and also customize the trip to your liking, travel time, and budget.
Traveling from Jaipur to Jaisalmer by Car
The journey from Jaipur to Jaisalmer is a sensory experience. The route passes through the historic city of Jodhpur – yet another melting pot of culture, and if you explore deep into the town, you will discover stories of its glorious history. With our completely customizable Jaipur to Jaisalmer trip packages, you can stop at any of these places and do a quick sightseeing. Let us help you discover the best routes to travel from Jaipur to Jaisalmer by car.
Best time to take a road trip by Car
Being right in the desert, Jaisalmer has the classic arid climate. The summers are extremely hot and dry, making it impossible to be outdoors. The winter months, on the other hand, are very pleasant, with temperatures not rising above 24 degrees Celsius. The best time to take a road trip to Jaisalmer from Jaipur is during the inviting winter months – between October to March or in the monsoon season between July to September. Avoid traveling to Jaisalmer during the peak summer months between April and June.
Popular Routes from Jaipur to Jaisalmer
Route 1: Distance and Time taken from Jaipur to Jaisalmer via Jaipur – Jobner – Kuchaman – Nagaur Rd and Nagaur Rd
This is the shortest and fastest route to travel from Jaipur to Jaisalmer. The distance between Jaipur and Jaisalmer on this route is about 557 KM and takes a little over 10 hours. The traffic on this route is normal, but you should always check live maps and instant traffic updates for the latest information on Jaipur to Jaisalmer road conditions.
Popular sights/monuments that you will encounter along this route
- Amer Fort: A royal marvel situated by the lake, is a magnificent sight. The fort and the road leading up to it are scenic and offer postcard-like memories to the traveler.
- Rambagh Palace: Home to Rani Lakshmi Devi and the subject of many books, this dreamy palace is royalty in all its glory. The decor features bejeweled chandeliers and walls encrusted with art, a breathtaking experience to take home.
- The Sambhar Salt Lake: This magnificent lake is the country’s largest saline lake and Rajasthan’s prime source of salt production.
- Pushkar Lake: Pushkar Sarovar near Ajmer city is a sacred lake of the Hindus. The Hindu scriptures describe the lake as Tirtha-Guru, a pilgrimage site related to the mythology of Brahma, the creator-god.
- Umaid Bhavan: The sixth largest residence in the world and home to royals, this magnificent palace is constructed using palm court marble – similar to the Taj Mahal. It is perched on the highest point of Jodhpur and offers an exotic view.
Places to eat on this route
- Lakshmi Mishtan Bhandar: An absolute must-visit eatery for a gastronomical experience, LMB is famous for its sumptuous sweets.
- Steam: A restaurant within the Rambagh palace offering a unique ambiance of a train and food like no other.
- Rajbhog restaurant: A cozy eatery famous for its Rajasthani Thali.
- Food Court & Café: The ideal stop if you are craving Indian and Continental food.
Jaipur to Jaisalmer Road Conditions via Route 1:
This is the fastest route to travel from Jaipur to Jaisalmer and is used by most travelers. This route has standard highway tolls and the road conditions are better since there are no road closures.
Route 2: Distance and Time taken from Jaipur to Jaisalmer via Nagaur Rd
This is a longer route to travel from Jaipur to Jaisalmer than the previous one and also takes a little more time. Also, the road conditions on this route are variable. The distance from Jaipur to Jaisalmer on this route is around 561 KM and takes about 10 hours and 20 minutes to reach. To avoid road closures, always check for the latest updates and follow a live map when traveling to get the best idea of Jaipur to Jaisalmer road conditions.
Popular sights/monuments that you will encounter along this route
- Kishangarh Fort, Kishangarh: The fort was constructed in 1653 by Maharaja Roop Singh. The enormous fort is a timeless representation of grandeur that never ceases to awe visitors to India.
- Kishangarh Dumpyard, Kishangarh: Here, the landscape is reminiscent of Ladakh and there are mountains of discarded marble slurry everywhere. This is a popular location for pre-wedding photo shoots and many Bollywood films.
- Ajmer Sharif, Ajmer: Dargah Sharif, Moinuddin Chishti’s tomb, is one of India’s holiest places of worship. It is visited by millions of people each year because it is the final resting place of Gharib Nawaz Moin-ud-din Chisti.
- Ana Sagar Lake, Ajmer: Ana Sagar is an artificial lake built in the 12th century AD by Anaji Chauhan, grandfather of Prithvi Raj Chauhan, the last independent Hindu king.
Places to eat on this route
- RJ 19, Bagru – Multi-cuisine local restaurant serving a variety of meals, beverages, and snacks in a casual setting.
- Bhadu Bhai Hotel, Gadota – Vegetarian restaurant in a local hotel, known for serving traditional Rajasthani food and thali meals.
- Hotel Gujarat, Mokhampura – Dig into ethnic Gujarati cuisine among other locally famous food of Rajasthan here.
Jaipur to Jaisalmer Road Conditions via Route 2:
This is a slightly longer and slower route to travel from Jaipur to Jaisalmer. This route also has standard highway tolls, and the road conditions are better since there are no road closures.
Jaipur to Jaisalmer Best Route
Both the above routes are good for traveling from Jaipur to Jaisalmer. If you want to save time and still have a scenic drive, then the route via Jaipur – Jobner – Kuchaman – Nagaur Rd is your best option.
Other means of traveling from Jaipur to Jaisalmer
Jaisalmer is well-connected to major cities through rail. The fastest train is Delhi Jaisalmer Express (14059). The train time from Jaipur to Jaisalmer can range from 5 to 11 hours, depending on the train you take. For updated train timings from Jaipur to Jaisalmer, visit IRCTC and follow their latest timetable.
Jaisalmer does not have a commercial airport. The closest airport is in Jodhpur, well connected to major metro cities. On reaching the Jodhpur airport (JDH), you can rent a car to reach Jaisalmer, which is a mere 4-hour drive.
Attractions in Jaisalmer for Sightseeing
With endless adventure opportunities like desert camping, star gazing, camel safaris, and exploring the local culture, Jaisalmer is sure to give you the ultimate “desert experience”. These are the must-see and must-do things in Jaisalmer.
- Don’t miss the Jaisalmer Fort, 12th century desert fort with ornate temples and palaces.
- Visit the Patwa Haveli, a 19th century palace with intricate stone carvings and a museum.
- Take a tour of the Gadisar Lake, a historical artificial lake with a huge promenade.
- Head to the Thar Heritage Museum, a conservatory housing folk art, artifacts, and history of local communities.
- Walk through the Vyas Chhatri, a sandstone cenotaph of sage Vyas.
- Visit the Jaisalmer Sunset Point, a popular haunt for sunset viewing and camel rides.
- Don’t leave without a desert safari on the camel and explore the sand dunes.
Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Jaisalmer
Jaisalmer’s food scene might be similar to the rest of the state but it’s way more rustic and rawer. The cosmopolitan flair of the tourist hotspots of other bigger cities have not managed to taint Jaisalmer’s culinary originality. Along with local recipes, you can also expect to find other North Indian cuisines. And while food might be predominantly vegetarian, there are a host of non-vegetarian recipes that will leave you asking for more.
Visit these places to taste the local flavors of Jaisalmer –
- Desert Cow Restaurant, Bank Ring Road, near State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur, Sadar Bazar
- Heritage House Rooftop Restaurant, 583.584 Hotel Heritage House
- Fotiya’s Restaurant Café, K.l, Dedansar Rd, Anchalvansi Colony
- Paradise Rooftop Café and Restaurant, Jaisalmer Fort premise
- The Lal Garh Restaurant, Patwa Haveli Road, Kalakar Colony, Sadar Bazar
Hotels and Resorts in Jaisalmer
|Place Name||Address||Phone Number|
|Hotel Dev Villa||Plot No. 2, Chandra Veer Singh Colony, near to collector office, Rajasthan 345001||097841 60003|
|Gorbandh Palace||1, Tourist Complex, Sam Road, Jaisalmer, Rajasthan 345001||02992 253 801|
|Desert Tulip Jaisalmer||4 Hotel Complex Jodhpur Road, NH15, Jaisalmer, Rajasthan 345001||NA|
|Sairafort Sarovar Portico, Jaisalmer||SPL-1 RIICO Industrial Area Shilp Gram Ramgarh By Pass, Rajasthan 345001||077422 11878|
|Wonder Desert Safari Camp||Fort paring, Dhibba Para, Jaisalmer, Rajasthan 345001||088906 08620|
Nearby Road Trips from Jaisalmer
|Jaisalmer To Ahmedabad||535 Km||10 hours|
|Jaisalmer To Jodhpur||281 Km||4.5 hours|
|Jaisalmer To Udaipur||489 Km||9 hours|
|Jaisalmer to Bikaner||330 Km||5 hours|
|Jaisalmer to Jaipur||557 Km||10 hours|