Munnar is a hill station located in the Western Ghats of Kerala, known for its serene surroundings, tea plantations, and misty mountains. The town is situated above sea level and offers panoramic views of the surrounding valleys and peaks. Munnar is a popular tourist destination and attracts visitors from all over the world. When you book a Madurai car rental with Savaari, the most noteworthy part of it is that you can turn a simple drive into an experiential road trip.
Best Time to Visit Munnar by Road:
The ideal time to visit Munnar is from September to March when the weather is pleasant and perfect for sightseeing. However, if you’re a nature lover, you can also plan your trip during the monsoon season, between June and August, when the town is at its greenest and most vibrant.
Popular Routes to Take from Madurai to Reach Munnar :
Let us help you discover some of the best routes so your trip from Madurai to Munnar by road is nothing short of amazing!
The road journey from Madurai to Munnar is a scenic drive through the hills and offers stunning views of the Western Ghats. The distance between Madurai and Munnar is approximately 155 kilometers, and there are two popular routes to take to reach Munnar:
- Route 1- Madurai to Munnar Via NH85: The first route is via NH85, which takes around 4.5 hours to reach Munnar. This route passes through the towns of Theni and Bodinayakanur, which are known for their coffee plantations and scenic landscapes.
- Route 2- Madurai to Munnar Via NH 183: The second route is via NH183, which takes around 5 hours to reach Munnar. This route passes through the towns of Kambam and Kumily, which are known for their spice plantations and wildlife reserves.
Places to Visit Along the Route:
- Meghamalai: Meghamalai is a scenic hill station located about 100 kilometers from Madurai. The town is known for its tea plantations, waterfalls, and wildlife.
- Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary: Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary is located in the town of Thekkady and is home to a variety of wildlife species, including elephants, tigers, and sambar deer.
- Tea Museums: Munnar is known for its tea plantations, and there are several tea museums in the town, including the KDHP Tea Museum and the Lockhart Tea Museum
Places to Eat Along the Route:
- Saravana Bhavan: Saravana Bhavan is a popular vegetarian restaurant chain with outlets in Madurai and Theni.
- Sri Kumaran Mess: Sri Kumaran Mess is a popular non-vegetarian restaurant located in Theni, known for its spicy and flavorful dishes.
- Hotel Saravana Bhavan: Hotel Saravana Bhavan is a popular vegetarian restaurant located in Kambam, known for its South Indian cuisine.
The road journey from Madurai to Munnar is a beautiful drive through the hills and offers stunning views of the Western Ghats. Along the route, you can visit a variety of tourist attractions, including hill stations, wildlife reserves, and lakes.
Download our Savaari car Booking app for a smooth and pleasant journey