Kedarnath is a small town located in the Indian state of Uttarakhand, nestled in the Himalayan region. It holds immense religious significance for Hindus as it is home to the revered Kedarnath Temple, one of the twelve Jyotirlingas dedicated to Lord Shiva. The town is situated at a high altitude in the Garhwal Himalayas and is surrounded by breathtaking natural beauty, including snow-capped peaks, lush forests, and pristine rivers.
Table of Contents
- Why travel from Rishikesh to Kedarnath?
- Travelling from Rishikesh to Kedarnath by car
- Best Time To Visit
- Popular Routes from Rishikesh to Kedarnath
- Rishikesh to Kedarnath Best Route
- How to Reach Kedarnath By Train
- How to Reach Kedarnath By Flight
- Attractions in Kedarnath for Sightseeing
- Savaari Recommends – Popular Places to Eat in Kedarnath
- Hotels and resorts – Accommodation in Kedarnath
Why travel from Rishikesh to Kedarnath?
Kedarnath is considered to be one of the most important Hindu pilgrimage sites in Uttarakhand. The small, remote town sits in the Garhwal Himalayas, at the junction where the Ganges flow down from the glaciers into the northern plains. The holy ancient town is said to be one of the sites of the Char Dhams.
Apart from its religious significance, Kedarnath is also famous for its natural beauty of the snow-capped Himalayas, and is a popular destination among trekkers and mountaineers. Pilgrims usually travel to Kedarnath as a single destination or as a part of a comprehensive pilgrimage tour that covers Haridwar, Rishikesh, Devprayag etc. If you are travelling to Kedarnath from Rishikesh, for instance, then a road trip is the best way to reach the temple town. If you are planning to embark on a Char Dham Yatra from Rishikesh to Yamunotri, Gangotri, Kedarnath, and Badrinath, bookmark this comprehensive guide to the Char Dham Yatra.
With Savaari’s travel packages from Rishikesh, you can customize your entire trip as per your travel needs/goals, budget, time etc. Let us help you discover the best routes to travel to Kedarnath from Rishikesh by car.
Travelling from Rishikesh to Kedarnath by car
From one holy religious destination to another, the route passes through other famous pilgrimage sites and Himalayan villages in Uttarakhand. With our completely customizable Rishikesh to Kedarnath tour plans, you can enjoy a scenic ride through pine forests, valleys, and winding mountain roads, along the foothills of the Himalayas before you enter the colder glacial region.
Along your way, you will pass popular places like Devprayag, Rudraprayag, Sonprayag, and Gaurikund. With our cab service from Rishikesh to Kedarnath, you can stop at any of these places or make a detour to any of the holy temples in these towns, capture the natural beauty, or catch a glimpse of the local culture.
Important Highway Information about Rishikesh to Kedarnath
|Rishikesh to Kedarnath Highway
|National Highway 7
|NH – 7
Best Time To Visit
Many people brave the weather and travel to Kedarnath any time of the year, but located in the high altitude of the Himalayas, the weather of Kedarnath is quite harsh most of the year. So, you should take into account the best season and time to travel and have a successful trip.
The summer months, between March and June are perfect for exploring or pilgrimage. The winter months see heavy snowfall and are best avoided, and usually mountaineers and pro trekkers brave this weather. You can also travel after summer and before winter sets in, that is between September and November.
Quick Facts about Rishikesh to Kedarnath
|Road Distance from Rishikesh to Kedarnath
|Aerial Distance from Rishikesh to Kedarnath
|Travel Time for Rishikesh to Kedarnath
|Travel Time for Rishikesh to Kedarnath by Train
|1 hours and 38 minutes
|Rishikesh to Kedarnath Via NH-7
|Best time to visit
|March and June
Popular Routes from Rishikesh to Kedarnath
Route 1: Distance and Time taken from Rishikesh to Kedarnath via NH 7, Rudraprayag Bypass, & NH 107
This is the only route to travel from Rishikesh to Kedarnath. But this route is not completely drivable. The vehicle access is only till Gaurikund. And from Gaurikund you have to do a 16KM trek. So, this route to Kedarnath from Rishikesh is a combination of a road trip and a long trek.
This is the shortest, fastest, and the best route to travel from Rishikesh to Kedarnath by road. The distance between Rishikesh and Kedarnath on this route is somewhere around 208KM and takes nearly 8 hours, until Sonprayag. The traffic on this route is also minimal, except when it rains or there is snowfall. So, always check live maps and instant traffic updates for the latest information on Rishikesh to Kedarnath road conditions.
Here’s the basic route map from Rishikesh to Kedarnath via Sonprayag –
|Rishikesh — Devprayag — Srinagar — Agastamuni — Guptkashi — Sonprayag — Gaurikund — Kedarnath
Popular sights/monuments that you will encounter along this route:
- Shantikunj Gayatri Parivar, Motichur – A prominent ashram of the region, hosting spiritual camps, discourses, and educational programs in a tranquil setting.
- Rajaji Tiger Reserve, Motichur Gate – An alternative access point to the Rajaji National Park, good for a quick drive-through or a jungle trek.
- Devprayag Sangam, Devprayag – The confluence of Alakananda and Bhagirathi Rivers, this is a both a nature and religious hotspot, stop for a photo op or refreshing break.
- Valley View Point, Srinagar – A viewing point on the highway overlooking the mountains and valleys, best seen during spring when the valley is covered with fresh foliage and wild flowers, good for a day picnic, photo ops.
- Rudraprayag View Point, Rudraprayag – A viewing point on the highway, on the bridge over Rudraprayag River. Also see the confluence of Mandakini and Rudraprayag rivers from here, good for sunrise, sunset views, day trips.
- Kamla Waterfall, Chopta-Bhiri Road – A small waterfall along the highway, tucked inside pine forests surrounded by wooded areas, good for day treks, photo ops, picnics.
Places to eat along this route:
- Eating Point, Devprayag – Local fast-food joint serving quick meals, small meals, and beverages, good for quick stops, family-friendly.
- Apna Dhaba, Rudraprayag – Standard highway side eatery serving meal plates and dhaba style food, good for big groups, family-friendly.
- BRN Resort, Sersi – A restaurant in a local resort serving meals and snacks, good for families, big groups, offers great mountain views.
Rishikesh to Kedarnath Condition via this route:
This is the fastest route to travel and is used by most travelers. This route has standard highway tolls and the road conditions are better since there are no road closures as of June 2022.
Rishikesh to Kedarnath Best Route:
This is the best route to travel. However, depending on the season, you may want to avoid inner roads/service roads in case there are possible closures. This route is also quite scenic and interesting with more food and sightseeing options.
Other means of traveling from Rishikesh to Kedarnath
There is no railway station in Kedarnath or anywhere in close proximity. The nearest railway station to Kedarnath is in Rishikesh, about 216KM away. So, renting a car/local cab from Rishikesh is the best way to travel to Sonprayag and then trek to Kedarnath. There are also horses/ponies available to climb the steep slopes of the mountains from Gaurikund.
There is no flight service between Rishikesh and Kedarnath. The nearest airport is Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun (DED). You can book an airport taxi in Dehradun once your reach. If you are traveling from any other city, then you can fly to Dehradun and then take a rental car or local cab to reach Sonprayag and trek to Kedarnath. Otherwise, from Rishikesh, a cab service is the best and only option to reach Kedarnath through Gaurikand.
Attractions in Kedarnath for Sightseeing
One of the most sacred pilgrimage destinations, Kedarnath is famous for both its spiritual vibes as well as the magnificent natural beauty of the snow-clad Himalayas. This comprehensive travel Kedarnath travel guide will help you plan your trip better. Check out these local attractions for abundant nature and ancient culture –
- Kedarnath Temple – the highest temple of the region enshrining one of the 12 Jyotirlinga of Shina and is said to be more than 1000 years old. The temple structure is also a sight to see with its imposing tower and ancient stone-cut architecture. The inner walls have carvings of various Hindu deities and mythological events.
- Vasuki Tal – A glacial lake, Vasuki Tal sits at 13500+ feet and is one of the few accessible glacial lakes in this region. The lake area is a popular destination among trekkers, with uninterrupted views of Chaukhamba peak. You can also see the Chaturangi and Vasuki glaciers on the way here.
- Shankaracharya Samadhi – A temple preserving the shrine of Adi Shankaracharya, the proponent of Advaita Philosophy.
- Sonprayag – Sitting above 6000 feet, Sonprayag is a small hamlet nestled on the banks of the confluence of Mandakini and Basuki Rivers. This river conjunction is also considered holy.
- Bhairavnath Temple – Located 500 meters from Kedarnath temple, sits this another ancient temple. It enshrines another avatar of Shiva – Bhairav. The temple is perched atop a small hillock, offering stunning views of the Himalayas and the valley of Kedarnath below.
- Chorabari Lake – Also called Gandhi Sarovar/Tal, this is a gorgeous glacial lake with crystal clear water, sitting at 12500+ feet. The lake originates in the Chorabari Bamak Glacier. This lake is at a short trek from the Kedarnath temple.
- Gaurikund – This high-altitude lake in Guptakashi is the starting point of Kedarnath trek and the last vehicle-access point in the region. The place also serves as a basecamp. The Gaurikund Temple along the lake is also an important pilgrimage site.
Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Kedarnath
Here are some of the best places you can grab a bite to eat in the temple town –
- Tiwari Hotel & Restaurant
- Kedarnath Bhandara
- Rajasthani Langar
- Achanak Dhaba
- Kedarnath Hotel
- Pahadi Kitchen, Kedarnath Rd, Sonprayag
Hotels and Resorts in Kedarnath
|Kedarnath Rd, behind govt hospital, Phata, Uttarakhand 246471
|Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam Ltd. 741 Rajpur Road Dehradun-248001
|P3M8+RJ2, Gauri Kund – Kedarnath Dham Trekking Way, Kedarnath, Uttarakhand 246445
|Jamu Village Road, Phata, Uttarakhand 246471
|Kedar River Retreat
|P.O, NH-107, Kedarnath Road, Sitapur, Rampur, Uttarakhand 246471
|Hotel Himachal House
|P3M8+JC6, Gauri Kund – Kedarnath Trekking Way, beside Kedarnath Temple, Kedarnath, Uttarakhand 246445
Download our Savaari car rental app for a smooth and pleasant journey from Rishikesh to Kedarnath by road.
- Chardham Yatra 2023: Check Badrinath-Kedarnath registration process, know date and time
- Advisory Issued For Pilgrims Visiting Kedarnath, Badrinath, Yamunotri, Gangotri
- Kedarnath receives heavy snowfall; registrations suspended till April 30
- Chardham Yatra: Pilgrims to get best health services en route
- Reliance rolls out 5G services in Chardham temple premises
- Char Dham Yatra by helicopter
- Char Dham Yatra registration
- Online Puja booking
- Government guest houses on Char Dham Yatra route