Nestled at 2300 ft, less than 150 km from Bangalore makes Hogenakkal an ideal quick getaway from the city filled with adventurous activities for friends and family. It is often referred to as the “Niagara Falls of India,” and is home to the oldest kind of Carbonite rocks in the world. The famous Hogenakkal Falls is a must-visit if you live around Bangalore.
Table of Contents
- Why travel from Bangalore to Hogenakkal?
- Travelling from Bangalore to Hogenakkal by Car
- Best time to take a road trip from Bangalore to Hogenakkal by car
- How to Reach Hogenakkal By Train
- How to Reach Hogenakkal By Flight
- Places to eat along this route
- Other means of travelling
- Attractions in Hogenakkal for Sightseeing
- Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Hogenakkal
- Hotels and Resorts – Accommodation in Hogenakkal
Why travel from Bangalore to Hogenakkal?
Hogenakkal, a scenic tourist spot known for its waterfalls, is located on the border between the Dharmapuri district of Tamil Nadu and the Chamarajanagar district of Karnataka. The word Hogenakkal translates to smoky rocks in Kannada and the place really upholds that. When you take a road trip from Bangalore to Hogenakkal, you can enhance your experience by enjoying everything that lies on the way. With a Savaari, you can turn your drive into a fun-filled journey and also customize the trip to your liking, travel time, and budget.
Travelling from Bangalore to Hogenakkal by Car
As you begin your journey from Bangalore, you may encounter some traffic before you cross the city limits, but as you go further, you’ll enjoy the lush country drive with great roads. Whether you are travelling via Krishnagiri or Kanakapura, the beautiful trees, country roads and small towns on the way are sure to leave you feeling mesmerized. With our completely customizable Bangalore to Hogenakkal trip packages, you can stop at any of these places and do a quick sightseeing. Let us help you discover the best routes to travel from Bangalore to Hogenakkal by car.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit Hogenakkal Falls is between October and February as the water activities will be open. If you wish to witness the mighty falls in all its glory, then May to August would be ideal, although boating will be not allowed during this time due to heavy monsoon. You can plan according to your interests to make the most out of your trip to Hogenakkal.
Popular Routes from Bangalore to Hogenakkal
Route 1: Distance and Time Taken from Bangalore to Hogenakkal via NH 844
This is the shortest and the best route to travel between Bangalore and Hogenakkal. It is also the fastest because the Bangalore to Hogenakkal traffic on this route is regular and there are no road closures. The distance between Bangalore to Hogenakkal on this route is somewhere around 196 KM and takes about 4 hours and 30 minutes. Always check live maps and instant traffic updates for the latest information on Bangalore to Hogenakkal road conditions.
Here’s the basic route map from Bangalore to Hogenakkal:
Popular sights/monuments that you will encounter along this route:
- Jain Temple, Attibele – There is a beautiful temple that is carved out of white marble located in Attibele.
- Shoolagiri Dam, Shoolagiri – The dam is built on the Ponniyar river and is surrounded by thick forests and rocky cliffs presenting a beautiful landscape.
- Krishnagiri Fort – It is one of the strongest forts in the district and the monument is protected by the Archaeological Survey of India.
Places to eat along this route:
- Nandhana Palace, Bommasandra – A popular choice where one can enjoy almost any dish, be it veg meals or delicious biryani in Andhra style, served on delicate banana leaves.
- Shri Krishna Inn, Krishnagiri – The casual dining joint is ideal for families, serving several South Indian dishes like idly, dosa, and poor.
- Murugan Idly Shop, Krishnagiri – The locally popular restaurant serves South Indian food that is good for lunch and dinner and is ideal for families with kids.
Bangalore to Hogenakkal Road Condition via route 1:
This is the fastest route to travel from Bangalore to Hogenakkal and is used by most travellers. This route has standard highway tolls and the road conditions are better since there are no road closures.
Route 2: Distance and Time Taken from Bangalore to Hogenakkal via NH 948 and NH 3
Although, this is a shorter route to travel from Bangalore to Hogenakkal than the previous one and it takes around the same duration. Also, the road conditions on this route are narrow are variable. The distance from Bangalore to Hogenakkal on this route is around 152 KM and takes a little over 4 hours. To avoid road closures, always check for the latest updates and follow a live map to get the best idea of Bangalore to Hogenakkal road conditions.
Here’s a basic Bangalore to Hogenakkal road map for this route:
Popular sights/monuments that you will encounter along this route:
- Prani – The Pet Sanctuary, Somanahalli – A one-of-a-kind experience where you can touch and hold rescue animals. It is ideal for kids and families.
- Burnout, Kaggalipura – It is an excellent spot for go-karting and other activities, where you can also grab a bite.
- Dirt Mania, Karenhalli – It is an offbeat adventure zone where you can ride ATV Bikes on a great dirt track and have some fun along the way.
- Pyramid Valley, Harohalli – It is an international meditation centre, perfect to fulfill your inner spiritual quest.
Places to eat along this route:
- MTR 1942, Kaggalipura – One of Bangalore’s famous South Indian restaurants that are well known for bisi belle bath and lip-smacking dosas.
- Third Wave Coffee Roasters, Kaggalipura – A unique coffee shop and cafe that serves freshly roasted coffee along with mouth-watering savouries.
- Vasu Hotel, Kanakapura: A famous dosa point where people from across Bangalore often come on Sundays just to grab breakfast.
- Sri Shiva Saravanabhavan hotel, Anchetty: An ideal stop to grab dosa, coffee and meals on the go. It is suitable for kids and families as well.
Bangalore to Hogenakkal Road Condition via route 2:
The road leading to Hogenakkal from Kanakapura is scenic with little to no traffic. It passes through small villages along the countryside. Although, this route is slightly shorter by roughly 20 minutes as it has more tolls as compared to the first route.
Bangalore to Hogenakkal Best Route
Both the above routes are good for travelling from Bangalore, as each of these routes has interesting sightseeing options along the way. However, the first route seems slightly longer but also faster, while the second route seems more scenic, with poor road quality. So, if time and a pleasant journey are a priority for you, then route 1 seems to be the better choice for travelling from Bangalore to Hogenakkal by road. However, if you want to stop for activities on the way, route 2 would be an ideal option.
Other means of travelling from Bangalore to Hogenakkal
There is no direct connection from Bangalore to Hogenakkal Falls. However, you can take the train to Palakkodu or the bus to Dharmapuri as well. You can book a cab from Bangalore to Hogenakkal upon your arrival to ensure a comfortable journey.
The nearest airport is the Kempegowda International Airport (BLR) which is about 160 km away from Hogenakkal. The best way to reach Hogenakkal is by booking an airport taxi upon your arrival.
Attractions for Sightseeing in Hogenakkal
The entire region is home to various waterfalls, temples and viewpoints. If you’re interested in exploring the outskirts of Bangalore, Hogenakkal is an ideal destination for a 2-day roadtrip.
- Hogenakkal Falls – It is the main attraction of Hogenakkal as one can go boating and rent coracles.
- Cini Waterfalls – Another ideal spot that is filled with serene views for coracle and boat rides.
- Crocodile Rehabilitation Centre: Crocodiles can be found here along with an information board to learn more about these magnificent creatures.
- Cauvery North Wildlife Sanctuary: This sanctuary is a natural habitat for elephants and other wildlife, which is an ideal visit.
- Melagiri Hills – The Melagiri hills are situated at a point where the Eastern and Western Ghats meet. It is an ideal spot for adventure seekers, leading to beautiful trekking trails.
- Mettur Dam – It is one of the largest dams in India that was built in 1943. It spans over an area of 1700 m and offers breathtaking views of hills and the verdant landscape.
- Pennagaram Village – It is the perfect place to grab enriching insights into beautifully sculpted mammoth-sized terracotta statues.
Hogenakkal shares its borders with two states; Tamil Nadu and Karnataka, making it easily accessible from either of the two. The region is home to lush scenery and the mighty Kaveri river, making this the perfect road trip near Bangalore. With wide vibrant seafood and fun-filled activities around Bangalore, ensuring that you can be at Hogenakkal within a few hours. For more such places to visit near Bangalore, you can read our elaborate travel guide.
Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Hogenakkal
With Hogenakkal being an offbeat tourist location in Tamil Nadu, there are a only few restaurants and various street vendors. The local cuisine largely involves seafood and South Indian food.
These are some of the places to eat in Hogenakkal
- Mitun Hotel
- Hotel Murali
- Hotel Tamil Nadu
- Arusuvai Ashwanath
Hotels and Resorts in Hogenakkal
|VIP River Pint Cottage||No: 1/212G, Near RK Nagar Church, Bangalore Road, Oottamalai, Hogenakkal, Tamil Nadu||+91 9443776297|
|CM Hotel||Opp Hogenakkal Bus stand, Dharmapuri – Hogenakkal Rd, Hogenakkal, Tamil Nadu||+91 97896 27413|
|Hotel Tamil Nadu||Via.,Pennagaram, Hogenakkal, Dharmapuri, Tamil Nadu 636810||+91 91769 95836|
|Gopinath Mystery Trails||Gopinatham, Karnataka 571444||+91 94808 85300|
Witness the beauty of Hogenakkal by booking a car rental to take you to all these places with a local driver. Install the Savaari cab booking app for offers and discounts on outstation rentals.