Kedarnath is considered to be one of the most important Hindu pilgrimage sites in Uttarakhand. The small, remote town sits in the Garhwal Himalayas, at the junction where the Ganges flow down from the glaciers into the northern plains. The holy ancient town is said to be one of the sites of the Char Dhams.
Table of Contents
- Why travel from Dehradun to Kedarnath?
- Travelling from Dehradun to Kedarnath by car
- Best Time To Visit
- Popular Routes from Dehradun to Kedarnath
- Dehradun to Kedarnath Best Route
- How to Reach Kedarnath By Train
- How to Reach Kedarnath By Flight
- Attractions in Kedarnath for Sightseeing
- Savaari Recommends – Popular Places to Eat in Kedarnath
- Hotels and resorts – Accommodation in Kedarnath
Why travel from Dehradun to Kedarnath?
Apart from religious significance, Kedarnath is also a hotspot for pro trekkers and the entire region offers the most unforgettable views of the snow-capped Himalayas. However, traveling to Kedarnath is an arduous journey, and it’s advisable to make the right choices of transportation. Also, because of the difficult terrain, there are limitations on how you can travel.
You can easily book a cab from Dehradun, the state capital, and drive up to Kedarnath. With Savaari’s tour packages from Dehradun to Kedarnath, you can personalize your entire trip based on your time, budget, and travel goals.
Let us help you discover the best trip plan to travel from Dehradun to Kedarnath by road.
Traveling from Dehradun to Kedarnath by car
The route from Dehradun to Kedarnath is dotted with scenic landscapes and ancient temples. The road passes through old pilgrim towns like Devprayag, Rudraprayag, Sonprayag, and Gaurikund. Simultaneously, you can also enjoy the picturesque mountainscape, shifting from the Himalayan plains to the snow-capped glacial region.
As you drive along the winding roads and valleys of Uttarakhand, you can make a detour anywhere for a tour or to pay a visit to any temple, or simply stop for photographs.
With your completely customized Dehradun to Kedarnath itinerary, you can sample everything from nature, and culture, to history and more.
Best Time To Visit
Kedarnath’s geographical location makes the weather of this region quite inclement weather. Although you can travel anytime, you must take the regional temperature and other weather aspects into account before planning the trip. Most of the year, the weather is freezing, with slightly higher temperatures in summer or just before winter sets in.
If you are a pro trekker or a professional mountaineer then you can brave the cold weather and snowfall. However, for pilgrimage and spiritual trips, the summer months are the best time to travel.
Popular Routes from Dehradun to Kedarnath
Route 1: Distance and Time taken from Dehradun to Kedarnath via NH 7 & NH 107
This is the only route to travel from Dehradun to Kedarnath. But this route is not completely accessible by car alone. The vehicle access is only available till Gaurikund. From Gaurikund you have to do a 16KM trek. So, this route to Kedarnath from Haridwar is a combination of a road trip and a long trek. There are also ponies available on this route for those who cannot walk such a distance.
This is a very short route and fast due to national highways. The Dehradun to Kedarnath distance on this route is somewhere around 245 KM and takes nearly 8 hours. The traffic on this route is also minimal, except when it rains or there is snowfall or any highway accident. So, always check live maps and instant traffic updates for the latest information on Dehradun to Kedarnath road conditions.
Here’s the basic route map from Dehradun to Kedarnath-
|Dehradun — Doiwala — Rishikesh — Devprayag — Srinagar — Rudraprayag — Agastamuni — Guptkashi — Gaurikund — Kedarnath|
Popular sights/monuments that you will encounter along this route:
- Hidden Lacchiwala Lake, Baskarwala – A small stream and adjoining lake hidden within the Lachhiwala range, good for a short hike or just a refreshing break.
- Lachhiwala Nature Park, Lachhiwala Range – Local nature park with landscaped gardens, topiary, ponds, and a variety of floral and decorative plants, with boating options, good for a day trip with family and kids.
- Waterfall Mine, Sakalana – A waterfall sitting within hills, off the main highway, surrounded by big boulders, mountain bluffs, and camping sites, good for camping or day picnics.
- Laxman Jhula, Rishikesh – A famous suspension bridge with majestic views of the Himalayas and the Ganges, good for panoramic views and photo ops.
- Devprayag Sangam, Devprayag – The confluence of Alakananda and Bhagirathi Rivers, this is both a nature and religious hotspot, stop for a photo op or refreshing break.
- Valley View Point, Srinagar – A viewing point on the highway overlooking the mountains and valleys, best seen during spring when the valley is covered with fresh foliage and wildflowers, good for a day picnic, and photo ops.
- Rudraprayag View Point, Rudraprayag – A viewing point on the highway, on the bridge over the Rudraprayag River. Also see the confluence of Mandakini and Rudraprayag rivers from here, good for sunrise, sunset views, and day trips.
- Kamla Waterfall, Chopta-Bhiri Road – A small waterfall along the highway, tucked inside pine forests surrounded by wooded areas, good for day treks, photo ops, and picnics.
Places to eat along this route:
- Salt and Pepper Café, Jolly Grant – Casual diner serving Indian meals, snacks, and beverages, good for groups, lunch, and dinner.
- Pizza Café, Doiwala – Local café serving pizza, beverages, and other fast food, good for quick stops, kid-friendly.
- Eating Point, Devprayag – Local fast-food joint serving quick meals, small meals, and beverages, good for quick stops.
- Apna Dhaba, Rudraprayag – Standard highway side eatery serving meal plates and Dhaba style food, good for big groups, and families.
- BRN Resort, Sersi – A restaurant in a local resort serving meals and snacks, good for families, and big groups, offers great mountain views.
Dehradun to Kedarnath Condition via this route:
This is the shortest, fastest, and the only route to travel from Dehradun to Kedarnath and is used by regular travelers. This route has standard highway tolls and the road conditions are great since there are no road closures as of July 2022.
Dehradun to Kedarnath Best Route:
This is the most efficient route to travel from Dehradun to Kedarnath and is rated best by popular live map services. There might be other inner roads or access roads through the villages and towns. However, it is advisable to avoid such roads on hilly areas, especially during snowfall or rain, in case there are possible closures. The above route is also quite scenic and interesting with a lot of food and sightseeing options.
Other means of traveling from Dehradun to Kedarnath
There is no railway station in Kedarnath or anywhere nearby. The nearest railway station to Kedarnath is in Rishikesh, about 216 KM away. So, renting a car/local cab from Dehradun is the best way to travel to Gaurikund and then trek to Kedarnath.
There is no flight service between Dehradun and Kedarnath. The nearest airport is Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun (DED) itself. So, the only way you can get to Kedarnath is to book an outstation cab or rent a car from Dehradun and do a road trip to Kedarnath.
Attractions in Kedarnath for Sightseeing
Kedarnath is significant for both its spiritual vibes as well as the glorious natural beauty of the snow-clad Himalayas. Check out these local attractions in the Himalayan town –
- Kedarnath Temple – the highest temple of the region enshrining one of the 12 Jyotirlinga of Shiva and is said to be more than 1000 years old. The temple structure is also a sight to see with its imposing tower and ancient stone-cut architecture. The inner walls have carvings of various Hindu deities and mythological events.
- Vasuki Tal – A glacial lake, Vasuki Tal sits at 13500+ feet and is one of the few accessible glacial lakes in this region. The lake area is a popular destination among trekkers, with uninterrupted views of Chaukhamba peak. You can also see the Chaturangi and Vasuki glaciers on the way here.
- Shankaracharya Samadhi – A temple preserving the shrine of Adi Shankaracharya, the proponent of Advaita Philosophy.
- Sonprayag – Sitting above 6000 feet, Sonprayag is a small hamlet nestled on the banks of the confluence of Mandakini and Basuki Rivers. This river conjunction is also considered holy.
- Bhairavnath Temple – Located 500 meters from Kedarnath temple, sits another ancient temple. It enshrines another avatar of Shiva – Bhairav. The temple is perched atop a small hillock, offering stunning views of the Himalayas and the valley of Kedarnath below.
- Chorabari Lake – Also called Gandhi Sarovar/Tal, this is a gorgeous glacial lake with crystal clear water, sitting at 12500+ feet. The lake originates in the Chorabari Bamak Glacier. This lake is a short trek from the Kedarnath temple.
- Gaurikund – This high-altitude lake in Guptakashi is the starting point of the Kedarnath trek and the last point of vehicle access in the area. The place also serves as a basecamp. The Gaurikund Temple along the lake is also an important pilgrimage site.
Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Kedarnath
Although there are not a lot of food options in Kedarnath, there are a few eateries that cater well enough to travelers, tourists, and pilgrims. Check out these best-rated places to eat in Kedarnath –
- Tiwari Hotel & Restaurant, near Kedarnath Temple
- Kedarnath Bhandara
- Hotel Bharatpur House, Kedarnath Temple complex
- Achanak Dhaba
- Kedarnath Hotel
- Pahadi Kitchen, Kedarnath Rd, Sonprayag
Hotels and Resorts in Kedarnath
|Hotel Name||Address||Phone Number|
|Kafaltree Cottage||Kedarnath Rd, behind govt hospital, Phata, Uttarakhand 246471||NA|
|GMVN Cottages||Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam Ltd. 741 Rajpur Road Dehradun-248001||9438472431|
|Bahuguna Residency||P3M8+RJ2, Gauri Kund – Kedarnath Dham Trekking Way, Kedarnath, Uttarakhand 246445||NA|
|Kedarayatih Resort||Jamu Village Road, Phata, Uttarakhand 246471||NA|
|Kedar River Retreat||P.O, NH-107, Kedarnath Road, Sitapur, Rampur, Uttarakhand 246471||08265830866|
|Hotel Himachal House||P3M8+JC6, Gauri Kund – Kedarnath Trekking Way, beside Kedarnath Temple, Kedarnath, Uttarakhand 246445||09412356025|