Maharashtra is blessed with some extraordinarily beautiful hill stations and mountain passes in and around it. One such hill station is Lonavala. Extremely popular as a weekend road trip, the journey from Mumbai to Lonavala is indeed special, offering magnificent views of the Western Ghats.
Table of Contents
- Why travel from Mumbai to Lonavala?
- Traveling from Mumbai to Lonavala?
- Best time to take a road trip by car
- How to Reach Lonavala By Train
- How to Reach Lonavala By Flight
- Attractions in Lonavala for Sightseeing
- Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Lonavala
- Hotels and resorts – Accommodation in Lonavala
Why travel from Mumbai to Lonavala?
The route has a lot to offer including waterfalls, lush greenery and centuries-old rock caves. Lonavala has something for everyone – a bit of history, romantic spots and adventure sports for adrenaline junkies. About 5 km from Lonavala, is the very famous Khandala with equally beautiful and scenic vistas.
Traveling from Mumbai to Lonavala by road
Dreamy, scenic and mesmerizing are the perfect words to describe the beautiful hill station of Lonavala. This is why people prefer driving as the journey is equally fabulous. . For relaxing ride you can also directly hire a car from Mumbai to reach your destination. Waterfalls, rivulets and rain-drenched valleys make Lonavala a dream destination during the monsoon season. And when you take a road trip to Lonavala, you get to enjoy all of these at your own leisurely pace.
Let us help you discover two routes for a road trip from Mumbai to Lonavala and back. We will also tell you a little bit about the places you could see along the way. You can also book taxi from Mumbai to Lonavala and make the best out of your Mumbai to Lonavala trip.
Best time to take a road trip from Mumbai to Lonavala
Located only 2 hours from Mumbai, Lonavala can be visited throughout the year. The weather always remains cooler here compared to the hot and sultry Mumbai, but the best time to visit Mumbai to Lonavala by car is undoubtedly the monsoon season when the dewy rain makes the road trip and the stay an experience unlike any other.
Some of the best routes which can help you reach Lonavala from Mumbai and at the same time explore some popular places along the way are:
Route 1: Distance and Time taken from Mumbai to Lonavala via Mumbai-Pune Highway
Mumbai to Lonavala Distance via Mumbai-Pune Highway
The route covers a distance of 86 km within 2 hours and the road condition is excellent. This route is preferred by most travellers and passes through beautiful cities like Khandala.
Mumbai to Lonavala Road Conditions via Mumbai-Pune Highway
The classic roadmap for this route is –
|Mumbai — Navi Mumbai– Khandala — Lonavala|
Popular places along the way:
- Mumbai Snow World, Kurla – Visit Mumbai’s largest snow park to sledge, skate, slide an even relax in an Igloo
- Essel World – If you have some time to kill, you may stop at Essel World for some spine-chilling rides
- Imagica Theme Park – Visit Imagica Theme Park for thrilling indoor and outdoor roller coasters
- Lohagad Fort – Visit the ancient fort to take stunning pictures of its ruined remains, the landscape around or try some trekking which is fairly easy
Route 2: Distance and Time taken from Mumbai to Lonavala via NH 48
Mumbai to Lonavala Distance via NH 48
The route covers a distance of 210 km within 4 hours 50 minutes and the road condition is good. This route is preferred as a good alternative that crosses the quaint views and places like Panvel.
Mumbai to Lonavala Road Connditions via NH 48
|Mumbai — Navi Mumbai — Panvel — Lonavala|
Popular places along the way:
- Elephanta Caves – Visit this ancient cave temple with fascinating rock-cut sculptures that are a world-famous tourist destination.
- Karla Caves – Visit Karla Caves which were built during the 2nd Century and still one of the finest intricate craftsmanship and Buddhist style grandeur.
- Bhaja Caves – A group of 22 rock-cut caves dating back to 200 BC located at Karli should be on your list too
- Zenith Waterfalls – Zenith Falls are perfect for some trekking and swimming.
- Kune Falls – You may take a detour and visit Kune Falls for a spectacular view of the cascading waterfalls
Mumbai to Lonavala Best Route
While you can take any of the two routes, we recommend Route 1 Via Mumbai Pune Highway. The road conditions are excellent and the time taken is less. However, it is advisable to check live traffic updates before leaving for your trip.
Book a cab from Mumbai to Lonavala
Other means of traveling to Lonavala
Lonavala is only 83 km from Mumbai. Some other ways to reach Lonavala from Mumbai are-
How to Reach Lonavala by Train
Some of the trains which can take you Lonavala from Mumbai are Pragati Express (12125), Deccan Queen (12123), Indrayani Exp (22105), Bsl Pune Exp (11025), Chennai Mail (11027) etc.
How to Reach Lonavala by Flight
There are no direct flights to Lonavala and the nearest airports are Chattrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport and Pune International Airport. For a smooth and hassle-free traveling experience, book your Mumbai Airport taxi here. But, if you wish to book a pick or drop from Pune International Airport, you can book your Pune Airport cab here.
Explore Lonavala like a local – A handy travel guide
Whether it is with your best friends, or your family or a quick couple’s getaway, Lonavala has something for everyone. And the fact that it is a budget-friendly destination makes it a must-visit destination that one should definitely not miss out on.
Popular Attractions in Lonavala for Sightseeing
One of the main attractions in Lonavala is the Bhushi Dam. Built-in the late 1860s, Bhushi Dam is a popular picnic spot open to visitors from 9 am to 3 pm. Another famous tourist spot is the Tiger’s Leap. About 650 m high, Tiger’s Leap makes for a perfect evening picnic with a panoramic view of the hill town. A prominent rock structure by the name Duke’s nose is quite popular among trekkers and adventurers.Other equally good places to visit are Pawna Dam, Wax Museum and Lion’s Point. For the lovers of history, Bhaja caves or Karla caves are within driving distance. Trekkers should definitely not miss out on Lohagad fort, the Koregad fort or the Visapur fort for a memorable and awe-inspiring hike.
Savaari Recommends: Popular Places to eat in Lonavala
No journey is ever complete without some good food. Here is a list of places to enjoy some lip-smacking meals in Lonavala –
- Continental, European and Italian – Cafe 24
- Fast food, pizza and sandwich – Mapro Garden
- Parsi food – Parsi Dhaba
- Gujarati food – Hotel Chandralok
- Baked delicacies – German Bakery Wunderbar
- Vegetarian meals – Pure Veg Bollywood Eatery
When in Lonavala, relish roadside bhutta (roasted corn) from local vendors. There are a countless number of dhabas and restaurants which offer finger-licking food. You can also try different varieties of chikki or fudge from the widely popular local chikki shops all across Lonavala.
Hotels and Resorts – Accommodation in Lonavala
|Sterling Lonavala – Resorts and Hotels||Plot No. 137 A, Opp, Old Mumbai – Pune Hwy, Khandala, Lonavla, Maharashtra 410401. PH: 096895 21111|
|Della Resorts||Della Enclave Rd, Kune Village, Khandala, Lonavla, Maharashtra 410401. PH: 1800 3000 7440|
|Picaddle Resort by Meritas – Lonavala||Plot No. 137 A, Opp, Old Mumbai – Pune Hwy, Khandala, Lonavla, Maharashtra 410401. PH: 096895 21111|
|Hotel Hari International||Old Mumbai Pune Highway, Near HDFC Bank, Lonavla, Maharashtra 410401. PH: 089756 80202|
Download our Savaari car rental app for a smooth and pleasant journey.