Often called the Queen of Hills, Darjeeling is the most popular hill station of West Bengal and a highlight of the state, famous for stunning and uninterrupted views of the Kanchenjunga. The quaint and scenic hill town is dotted with tea gardens, colonial structures, and alpine forests, offering breath-taking views and a memorable travel experience.
Table of Contents
- Why travel from Siliguri to Darjeeling?
- Travelling from Siliguri to Darjeeling by car
- Best Time To Visit
- Popular Routes from Siliguri to Darjeeling
- Siliguri to Darjeeling Best Route
- How to Reach Darjeeling By Train
- How to Reach Darjeeling By Flight
- Attractions in Darjeeling for Sightseeing
- Savaari Recommends – Popular Places to Eat in Darjeeling
- Hotels and resorts – Accommodation in Darjeeling
Why travel from Siliguri to Darjeeling?
The deep-seated heritage and the colorful local culture are what makes Darjeeling a real thing of beauty. So why not enjoy the beauty slowly and gradually, as you take a road trip from the nearby city of Siliguri? With a cab from Siliguri to Darjeeling, you will get the benefit of a completely customized Siliguri to Darjeeling itinerary, based on your travel goals, budget, and time. Savaari curated a video travel guide on North Bengal, that gives you several reasons why North Bengal should be on your travel bucket list. Let us help you plan an incredible road trip from Siliguri to Darjeeling.
Best Time To Visit
Darjeeling sits in the Eastern Himalayas and thus, experiences a classic mountain weather. The summers are warm and pleasant while winters are extremely cold and chilly with occasional snowfall and cold waves. The best season to visit Darjeeling is the summer months, when the temperature of the region is comfortable enough to explore the outdoors. The rainy season is best avoided since heavy rainfall can cause landslides. Typically, March to April is the best time to visit Darjeeling.
Travelling from Siliguri to Darjeeling by car
The road between Siliguri and Darjeeling makes for one of the most scenic drives in the state. With our customized Siliguri to Darjeeling tour package, you can enjoy the ride through steep, winding, mountain roads lined with alpine forests. Along the way, you will pass interesting places like Jorpokhri Wildlife Sanctuary, Kurseong, and Sonada. With Savaari Car rentals, you can stop at any of these places for a scenic tour, or to just soak in the beauty of Himalayan landscape.
Popular Routes from Siliguri to Darjeeling
Route 1: Distance and Time Taken from Siliguri to Darjeeling via Matigara – Kurseong Road & NH10
This is the shortest and the only route to travel between Siliguri and Darjeeling. It is also the fastest, because the Siliguri to Darjeeling traffic on this route is very minimal and there are no road closures. The distance between Siliguri and Darjeeling on this route is approximately 63 KM and takes about two and half hours to reach. Always check live maps and instant traffic updates for the latest information on Siliguri to Darjeeling road conditions.
Here’s the basic route map from Siliguri to Darjeeling:
|Siliguri — Rohini Tea Garden — Kurseong — Baman Dhura Forest — Chatakpur Forest — Sonada — Darjeeling|
Popular sights/monuments that you will encounter along this route:
- Rohini Park, Rohini Tea Garden – A local park with winding roads overlooking tea gardens, villages, and valleys, good for a refreshing break or day picnic.
- Eagle’s Crag, Kurseong – A scenic viewing point with an observation tower, atop a rugged cliff offering stunning views of the surrounding valleys and hills, good for a day tour, best for sunrises.
- Paglajhora Falls, Shibkhola Tea Garden – A natural cascade tucked within the hills of Kurseong, surrounded by dense bluffs and pine forests, good for tea breaks, day treks.
- Salamander Lake, Ring Tong Tea Garden – A local lake surrounded by terraced farms, tea gardens, and valleys, good for a short break to freshen up.
Places to eat along this route:
- Army Fastfood Corner Complex, Simulbari Tea Garden – A small local eatery serving fast food, snacks, and beverages, good for quick stops.
- Hungry Lion, Kurseong – Locally popular café serving quick meals, fast food, tea and coffee, good for lunch, dinner, tea breaks, and kid-friendly.
- Café Kurseong Diaries, Kurseong – Fine dining restaurant with mountain views, good for families and groups.
- Milan Café and Restaurant, Maharani Tea Garden – Highway side café serving mini meals, snacks, and other café food, tea and coffee, good for breakfast, lunch, groups, and kid-friendly.
Siliguri to Darjeeling Road Condition on this Route:
The road conditions from Siliguri to Darjeeling on this route are excellent. It is the fastest and the only route, has regular highway traffic, despite some tolls on the way, but there are no road closures on this route.
Siliguri to Darjeeling Best Route
This is the only route to travel from Siliguri to Darjeeling, as of now. There might be other unlisted routes through local roads and villages, but this is the most established and widely used route by travelers and regular commuters. So, this seems to be the best way to travel between Siliguri and Darjeeling.
Other means of traveling from Siliguri to Darjeeling
There is no major railway station in Darjeeling due to its steep terrain. The nearest railhead is in New Jalpaiguri, which is another 8 KM from Siliguri. But there is an option of a narrow-gauge Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (52541), which runs from New Jalpaiguri to Darjeeling. This is the only train that you can take to reach Darjeeling. You can also directly book a car rental in Siliguri to reach Wayanad.
For all train bookings from Siliguri to Darjeeling, visit any online travel portal or Indian Railways’ website for latest time table and other updates.
There is no flight service between Siliguri to Darjeeling. The nearest airport is only Siliguri at Bagdogra Airport, 43 km away. You can fly to Bagdogra from anywhere in West Bengal or other major towns/cities in India. So, the only options for traveling from Siliguri to Darjeeling is by road or railway. You can also book a cab in Siliguri to reach your destination.
Attractions in Darjeeling for Sightseeing
With sprawling tea gardens, views of the Kanchenjunga Peak, and warm local communities, Darjeeling makes for a memorable travel experience.
Here are some of the best places to visit in Darjeeling –
- Ghoom Monastery – One of the most prominent Buddhist monasteries of the region, famous for its 15 feet Buddha statue.
- Japanese Peace Pagoda – A Buddhist temple with beautiful architecture in a peaceful and scenic setting.
- Batasia Loop – A horse-shoe shaped road lined with pine forests that loops around the town, making it a popular driving stretch in the area.
- Padmaja Naidu Zoological Park – A local natural conservatory housing endangered Himalayan wildlife, and a zoo.
- Himalayan Tibet Museum – A local museum showcasing exhibits on Tibetan history and other aspects of local heritage and culture.
- Tiger Hill Sunrise Point – The most popular viewing point of Darjeeling and a famous hotspot for tourists and locals alike, perfect for sighting of Kanchenjunga at sunrise.
- Darjeeling Mall – The main town square lined with shops, restaurants and leisure options, best for souvenir shopping, and dining.
- Nightingale Park – A local green and peaceful enclosure with landscaped gardens, sheltered areas and play zones, and a large statue of Shiva.
- Darjeeling Ropeway – India’s first cable-car system, built in 1968, the cable car ride offers uninterrupted views of the hills, valleys, tea gardens, waterfalls, and Kanchenjunga from 7000 feet.
Hire a car rental in Darjeeling to visit these major tourist places.
Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Darjeeling
Despite being a part of West Bengal, Darjeeling food is a canvas of its own. The food scene of Darjeeling is a fascinating mix of the old colonial flavors, and local Nepalese, Tibetan, and Bengali, as well as a touch of international flavors owing to its huge tourist community.
Sample the local flavors at some of these best restaurants in Darjeeling –
- Kunga Restaurant, Chauk Bazaar
- The Patio Restaurant, Dr Zakir Hussain Rd
- Nanking Restaurant, Laden La Road Capital Market
- Shangri-La Restaurant and Bar
- Keventer’s, Club Side
- Glenary’s, Nehru Road, near Clock Tower
Book a cab in Darjeeling to visit these major eateries.
Hotels and Resorts in Darjeeling
|Hotel Name||Address||Phone Number|
|Mayfair Darjeeling||Mall Rd, opposite Governor House, Chauk Bazaar, Darjeeling, West Bengal 734101||03542256376|
|The Revett||51(47) Ladenla Road Near ICICI Bank & Hayden Hall Opposite Darjeeling Capital Clock Tower, Darjeeling, West Bengal 734101||08250324723|
|The Elgin, Darjeeling – Since 1887||18, HD Lama Rd, Chauk Bazaar, Darjeeling, West Bengal 734101||03542257226|
|Central Gleneagles Heritage Resort||Mall Rd, Manbari Basti, Darjeeling, West Bengal 734101||07947044330|
|Muscatel Himalayan Resort||26, Gandhi Rd, Limbugaon, Darjeeling, West Bengal 734101||09732081111|
|Sinclairs Darjeeling||18/1, Gandhi Rd, Limbugaon, Darjeeling, West Bengal 734101||03542256431|