Mainpat is a small, hilly village in the Surguja district of Chhattisgarh. It is known for green pastures, rolling hills, deep rocky valleys, and dense forests, spread across virgin territories. The breathtaking beauty and the relatively cooler weather from the rest of the state, have earned Mainpat its nickname of Shimla of Chhattisgarh and a Mini Tibet of the state.
Table of Contents
- Things to do
- Offbeat Things to do
- Things to do in Mainpat with friends
- How to Plan a trip to Mainpat
- Hotels and Resorts
Mainpait is recognized as the home to Tibetan religious exiles who have formed a peaceful yet vibrant community over the decades. There is also a beautiful Buddhist temple and monastery that adds to the charm of the village. With less commercialization and tourism, this village remains a picturesque destination for real explorers and adventure seekers.
With our travel guide, you can plan an all-rounded trip to this exquisite place and explore the attractions here.
Mainpat is located in the Surguja district in the northern part of Chhattisgarh, at about 55KM from the nearest city of Ambikapur, 160KM from Korba, and 360KM from Raipur.
Mainpat weather is that of tropical plains. Summers are hot and humid and could be occasionally dry. Winters are the exact opposite, with pleasant and cool days and chilly nights. The monsoon period is also comfortable, with abundant rainfall enhancing the green cover in the region.
Historically, Mainpat was mostly jungle and remains one of the most forested regions of the country. In the earlier centuries, the village and the forests were home to the Yadavs and native tribes like Manjhi, Manjhwar, Kanwar and Pahadi Korwa. In the 1960s, after the Chinese invasion of Tibet, many Tibetan exiles sought refuge here and still form an important part of the local population.
Mainpat was once a cluster of 62 plateaus perched over 3200 ft, replete in dense forests of Sal. The place is also mineral-rich and an important source of Bauxite. The rocky terrain is intercepted by streams, rivulets, and streaky waterfalls, which regain their force during the monsoon.
Mainpat is famous for the gravity-defying waterfall – Ulta Pani/Bisar Pani, which also translates to “Upside down water”. This is a canal where the water flows upwards or at least appears to be flowing against gravity. There is no scientific explanation so far for the phenomenon and is usually considered an illusion. But this uncanny natural feature makes the village popular and puts the unknown village on the tourism map.
[Also read: Offbeat getaways in India: Chhattisgarh]
Things to do in Mainpat
Include these fun and exciting activities to do in this quaint village along with your sightseeing –
Offbeat Things to Do in Mainpat
- Head to Jaljali and witness the most unique landscape formation. The bumpy soil bounces slightly when you jump on it and is a treat for adults and kids alike.
- Walk around the Tibetan camps. The settlements are divided into seven camps and offer a close-up view of a rustic, Tibetan lifestyle. You can also shop for local crafts, rugs, woollen wear etc.
Adventurous Things to Do in Mainpat
With rugged terrain, forests, and gurgling streams, this destination is a trekker’s paradise. You can trek to and around any of the waterfalls or to the Mehta Point, sunset point etc. for the best experience.
Things to do in Mainpat with Friends
- At Fish Point or Tiger Point, you can try paragliding, rappelling and rock climbing.
- You can also go spelunking at Jogimara Caves.
Things to do in Mainpat for Couples
- Enjoy a romantic day picnic at Mercury Falls, known for all the peace and quiet.
- Watch the gorgeous sunset with your special someone at Sunset Point.
Places to visit in Mainpat
With abundant natural beauty, there’s a host of places to see in Mainpat. Check out these famous places on your trip –
- Dhakpo Shedupling Monastery: One of the most prominent monasteries of Mainpat, this is a Gelug monastery and serves as a religious and learning centre for Buddhists. It is also the most-visited in the region and contains Tibetan relics and artefacts. Entry Fee- Free
- Fish Point: This scenic site gets its name from the river flowing here, called the Machali Nadi or Fish River. The river is known for abundant fishes of a particular variety. The river flows through rugged hills and joins into a waterfall from 80 meters, making this a gorgeous nature spot with greenery, waterbody, and a serene ambience. Entry Fee– NA
- Tiger Point Falls: Another scenic waterfall of Mainpat, the Tiger Point originates in the Mahadev Muda River and is flanked by dense forests on all sides. At some point, there used to be tigers in the forests here, which got the place its name. At present, this waterfall site serves as a popular picnic, swimming and hiking spot. Entry Fee– NA
- Mercury Falls: One of the lesser-visited waterfalls of Mainpat, the Mercury Falls is the tallest in the village. Tucked within hills, at a height of 400 feet, this site calls for some serious trekking and could be difficult to reach. Entry Fee– NA
- Bhutahi Jalprapat: This waterfall is perhaps the most mesmerizing thing to see in Mainpat. The water flows in a snaking, zig-zag manner, and looks white and frothy. The torrential flow sounds similar to a scream hence it’s often considered “ghostly”. Entry Fee– NA
Places to visit nearby
Besides the regular tourist places you can also explore other scenic locales nearby –
- Jogimara Caves: A place for archaeology buffs, these ancient caves date back to 300BC and are a must-visit. The interiors have paintings of humans, animals, livestock, birds, and other motifs from daily lives. You can also trek in the surrounding forests. Entry Fee– NA
- Parpatiya Sunset Point: About 30KM from Mainpat village, this hilly area offers stunning views of sunsets. You can drive or trek up to the point and enjoy the uninterrupted hills that look like cubes. Entry Fee– NA
- Ambikapur: The nearest major city to Mainpat and one of the oldest cities in India, Ambikapur has a lot of historical and natural sites to see. Visit the Mahamaya Temple, Pilkha Pahad, Bans Badi, Ghunghutta Dam etc. Entry Fee– NA
- Devpahari/Deopahari: Situated in the dense forests of the Putka-Devpahari Range, this is a beautiful site with waterfalls, rugged sandstone and rocky boulders, and wooded areas. You can spend a day trekking or hike through the woods and by the Chornai River. Entry Fee– NA
Places to Eat in Mainpat
Explore these best-rated eateries to sample the local flavours –
- Tibetan Lhasa Restaurant
- Sky Garden and Resto
- Zambala Restaurant, Hotel & Café
- The Top Hills Restaurant
- Tashi-Iha Tibetan Restaurant
How to Plan a Trip to Mainpat
You can also plan a personalized Mainpat trip by selecting the mode of transport, the route, and more.
How to Reach
There is no train service in Mainpat. The nearest railway station is in Ambikapur, about 56KM away. From there, you can book a cab or take the local tourist vehicle to reach Mainpat.
Mainpat is connected to major cities and towns in Chhattisgarh via Mainpat Road and indirectly via NH43 and NH130. There are also state-run and private buses from Bilaspur, Raipur, Rourkela, Jabalpur, Ranchi etc. to the Ambikapur bus terminal. From there, you can rent a car or book a cab to reach Mainpat. The best way to reach Mainpat is to book an outstation cab from any of these places and do a road trip.
The nearest airport to Mainpat is in Ranchi, at Birsa Munda Airport, about 300KM away. Another nearby airport is under development in Ambikapur, which will connect Raipur and Varanasi in the future.
Best time to Visit Mainpat
The best time to visit this panoramic village is either during winter or the monsoon. These are the only times when the weather is conducive to exploring the local nature and doing outdoor activities. The post-monsoon period is also great for travel, with widespread greenery and washed hills, with sweeping views.
Hotels and Resorts in Mainpat
Check out these popular places to stay in and around Mainpat –
|Saila Tourist Resort||Mainpat Rd, Kamleshwarpur, Chhattisgarh 497111|
|Anmol Hotel & Resort||Ambikapur Rd, near Rishit Petroleum, Kamleshwarpur, Chhattisgarh 497111 Phone: 090984 03222|
|Happy Stayz||C/O Mahendra Singh Tuteja, Panchsheel Gali, Sattipara, Ambikapur, Sarguja View Map|
|Hotel Purple Orchid||Near Outer Ring Rd, Bilaspur Chowk, beside Bhatupara Talab, Ambikapur, Chhattisgarh 497001 Phone: 086029 47649|
Witness the beauty of Mainpat by booking a car rental to take you to all these places with a local driver. Install Savaari cab booking app for offers and discounts on outstation rentals.
Last Updated on January 9, 2023 by blogadmin