Discover the beautiful world of Pachmarhi – a hidden treasure located in the heart of India. This serene hill station is surrounded by the Satpura Range and is perfect for nature lovers, adventure seekers, and those seeking peace and quiet. The hills are covered in mist, and the forests are lush and green. There are many waterfalls to enjoy. Pachmarhi is a great destination for history buffs who want to explore ancient caves and for thrill-seekers who want to go on treks. Join us on a virtual journey to learn more about the secrets and stories that make Pachmarhi a must-visit destination for travellers with a love of exploration. But wait! Before we begin, let us first help you find the right local travel option for a hassle-free journey.
Table of Contents–
- Things to do in Pachmarhi
- Shopping in Pachmarhi
- Nightlife in Pachmarhi
- Places to visit in Pachmarhi
- Places to visit near Pachmarhi
- About Pachmarhi
- How to Plan a Trip to Pachmarhi
- Hotels and Resorts in Pachmarhi
- Road trips were taken from Pachmarhi
Things to do in Pachmarhi by booking a Savaari cab
Pachmarhi, often referred to as the “Queen of Satpura,” is a canvas painted with myriad experiences that beckon travellers with open arms. This charming hill station is a treasure trove of activities, catering to diverse interests and preferences. Whether you’re an adventure enthusiast, a nature lover, or someone seeking tranquillity, Pachmarhi holds a bouquet of delights just waiting to be embraced. Let’s delve into the captivating array of things to do in Pachmarhi, each one a chapter in the story of your unforgettable journey.
- Explore history in Pandava Caves: Explore the ancient Pandava Caves, where mythology intertwines with reality. These five rock-cut chambers, believed to have housed the Pandava brothers during their exile, will make you feel connected to a bygone era as you wander through the dimly lit passages.
- Trekking amidst nature’s abundance: Pachmarhi is a hiker’s paradise with trails leading to stunning vantage points and secluded waterfalls. Embark on a trek to Dhoopgarh, the highest point in Madhya Pradesh, to witness breathtaking sunrises and sunsets, painting the sky in hues of gold and crimson.
- Marvel at Handi Khoh: Stand at the edge of Handi Khoh, an awe-inspiring ravine that plunges to a depth of 300 feet. The panoramic view from here is nothing short of spellbinding, and the breeze carries a hint of mystique that’s hard to resist.
- Rejuvenate at Bee Falls: Named after the abundance of bees that frequent the area, Bee Falls is a cascading wonder that invites you to cool off in its pristine waters. The gentle rumble of the falls and the lush surroundings create an oasis of serenity.
- Seek spirituality at Jata Shankar caves: This sacred cave is home to natural stalagmite formations revered as representations of Lord Shiva’s matted hair. The tranquil atmosphere and spiritual significance make it a must-visit spot for introspection.
- Pachmarhi Lake: Rent a paddleboat and glide along the tranquil waters of Pachmarhi Lake, nothing short of spellbinding, and the breeze carries a hint of mystique that’s hard to resist.
- Shopping for souvenirs: Don’t miss the chance to explore the local markets for handicrafts, tribal jewellery, and bamboo artefacts. These authentic mementoes will forever remind you of the region’s vibrant culture and artistic heritage.
Pachmarhi embraces every traveller with its diverse offerings, promising an unforgettable expedition that will linger in your heart long after you’ve left. Whether you’re traversing its historical caves, embarking on exhilarating treks, or simply soaking in the serene ambience, Pachmarhi invites you to immerse yourself in its unique tapestry of experiences.
Shopping in Pachmarhi
Amidst the natural splendor and cultural allure of Pachmarhi, lies an opportunity to take a piece of this enchanting hill station back home with you. As you wander through Pachmarhi’s markets, you’ll not only be indulging in retail therapy but also embarking on a cultural exploration. Shopping in Pachmarhi is a delightful adventure. The markets here offer a plethora of unique handicrafts, artefacts, and souvenirs that capture the essence of the region. From vibrant tribal jewellery to intricate bamboo crafts, every item tells a story waiting to be woven into your memories. Join us as we embark on a shopping journey through the charming markets of Pachmarhi. This is where each corner is a treasure trove waiting to be explored.
- Sadar Bazar: A hub of authentic handicrafts Sadar Bazar is the heart of Pachmarhi’s shopping scene. You’ll find an array of stalls and shops brimming with local craftsmanship. From tribal jewellery adorned with colourful beads and stones to intricately carved wooden artefacts, the market offers an extensive collection of traditional wares. Don’t miss the chance to shop for Dhokra art, a unique form of metal casting practised by local tribes. The market also showcases embroidered textiles, hand-painted pottery, and vibrant paintings that vividly depict the essence of Pachmarhi.
- Handicraft Emporium: If you are looking for a curated shopping experience, head to the Handicraft Emporium. You’ll find a curated collection of regional crafts. From elegant silk sarees to handwoven shawls, this emporium is a treasure trove for textile enthusiasts. Delicate beadwork and tribal motifs adorn various products, making them not just items but intricate pieces of art. They reflect the rich heritage of the region.
- Rajendra Market: A lively local market that offers a vibrant slice of local life. Their stalls brim with fresh produce, spices, and everyday essentials. As you stroll through the bustling lanes, keep an eye out for local spices, honey, and organic products that are a testament to Pachmarhi’s bountiful surroundings. Engage in friendly banter with the local vendors. You might uncover hidden gems that capture the essence of everyday life here.
- Tribal souvenir shops: To truly immerse yourself in the local culture, explore the tribal souvenir shops scattered around Pachmarhi. These shops offer an authentic range of tribal art, including bamboo crafts, beadwork, and tribal jewellery. Each piece narrates a story of age-old traditions and artistic brilliance, making them cherished keepsakes of your journey.
Nightlife in Pachmarhi
While Pachmarhi’s nightlife may not be as bustling as that of a city, it holds its charm that’s worth exploring. The serene and starlit nights offer a different perspective of this hill station. It allows you to connect with nature and your thoughts in a unique way. As the sun dips below the horizon, Pachmarhi transforms into a different kind of enchanting haven. While it’s true that Pachmarhi is more renowned for its serene landscapes and daytime adventures, its nightlife holds its allure. The serene ambience takes on a touch of mystique, and the starlit sky becomes a canvas for unforgettable experiences. Join us as we explore the lesser-known but equally captivating side of Pachmarhi’s nightlife. This is where the nights are as captivating as the days.
- Stargazing delight at Bee Falls: Under the canopy of twinkling stars, Bee Falls takes on a magical ambience after dark. As the cascading waters create a symphony of sounds, find a comfortable spot to lie back and gaze at the celestial wonders above. Away from the city lights, Pachmarhi offers a clear view of the night sky, making it a stargazer’s paradise. Bring along a blanket, and your favourite snacks, and enjoy a serene night of celestial exploration.
- Bonfire tales at campsites: Several campsites in Pachmarhi offer the opportunity to unwind around a crackling bonfire. Gather around the warmth of the flames with fellow travellers, sharing stories and laughter that create lasting memories. The cool night breeze and the dancing flames set the perfect stage for camaraderie. It makes the experience a quintessential part of Pachmarhi’s nighttime charm.
- Late-night walks through tranquil streets: Pachmarhi’s serene streets take on a new charm under the moonlight. Take a stroll along the peaceful roads, relishing the tranquil ambience and the serenade of crickets. The absence of bustling crowds allows you to truly connect with the surroundings. It makes it an ideal time for introspection and quiet contemplation.
- Discover nocturnal wildlife: Embark on a nocturnal adventure at Satpura National Park. It offers night safaris to observe the park’s elusive nocturnal inhabitants. As the park transforms with the setting sun, you might catch glimpses of creatures like Indian giant squirrels, jungle cats, and more. The thrill of encountering wildlife under the cover of night adds an extra layer of excitement to your Pachmarhi experience.
- Evening yoga and meditation: Pachmarhi’s tranquil environment provides the perfect backdrop for evening yoga and meditation sessions. Many resorts and wellness centres offer these activities under the open sky. It allows you to connect with nature while rejuvenating your body and mind. The serene ambience adds an extra dimension to your practice, enhancing the sense of peace and tranquillity.
Places to visit in Pachmarhi by booking a Savaari cab
Nestled within the lush embrace of the Satpura Range, Pachmarhi is a destination that promises a medley of natural beauty, historical significance, and spiritual charm. Pachmarhi’s attractions are as diverse as they are captivating. From nature’s wonders to historical sites that whisper tales of the past, each place you visit adds a new layer to your understanding of this charming hill station. Let’s delve into a curated list of must-visit places in Pachmarhi. Each one is a unique chapter in this hill station’s captivating story.
- Dhoopgarh: The highest point in Madhya Pradesh, Dhoopgarh offers panoramic views of the surrounding landscapes. It’s a popular spot to witness mesmerizing sunrises and sunsets. The hike to the summit is rewarding, and you can also drive to the viewpoint.
- Entry fee: None
- Working hours: Open all-day
- Jata Shankar Caves: These sacred caves house natural stalagmite formations that are revered as representations of Lord Shiva’s matted hair. The cave complex also features a tranquil pool and is considered spiritually significant.
- Entry fee: None
- Working hours: 6:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Bee Falls: Cascading from a height, Bee Falls is a serene and picturesque waterfall surrounded by lush greenery. It’s an ideal spot for relaxation and tranquillity.
- Entry fee: INR 15 (per person)
- Working hours: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Handi Khoh: Handi Khoh is a dramatic ravine that plunges to a depth of 300 feet. The view from the edge is breathtaking, offering a unique perspective of the natural beauty of Pachmarhi.
- Entry fee: None
- Working hours: Open all-day
- Pandava Caves: These rock-cut chambers are associated with the Pandava brothers from the Mahabharata. Exploring the caves and learning about their history adds an intriguing layer to your visit.
- Entry fee: None
- Working hours: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Rajat Prapat (Silver Falls): Rajat Prapat is one of the highest waterfalls in India and offers a stunning spectacle. The sight of water cascading down the rocks is a sight to behold.
- Entry fee: None
- Working hours: Open all-day
- Bison Lodge Museum: This museum showcases the rich flora and fauna of the region, offering insights into the biodiversity and history of Pachmarhi.
- Entry fee: INR 10 (per person)
- Working hours: 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM (Closed on Mondays). Would you like to book a cab in Pachmarhi to visit all these places? Book here.
Places to visit near Pachmarhi
While Pachmarhi stands as a jewel in its own right, the charm of its neighbouring destinations adds another layer of enchantment to your journey. As you venture into the surroundings of Pachmarhi, you’ll discover that each nearby destination offers a unique tapestry of experiences. These nearby places, including picturesque towns and serene hill stations, offer a diverse array of experiences that beautifully complement the tranquillity of Pachmarhi. Let’s set off on a captivating exploration of these gems:
- Chauragarh: Located at a distance of approximately 40 km, Chauragarh is a pilgrimage, spiritual and scenic adventure all rolled into one. The arduous yet rewarding trek takes you to a revered Lord Shiva temple atop the hill. As you ascend, breathtaking vistas of rolling hills and verdant valleys unfold, creating an experience that merges devotion with natural splendour.
- Mahadeo Hill: Nestled within the Satpura Range, Mahadeo Hill is home to an ancient temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. The journey to this sacred spot is a blend of tranquillity and spirituality. The views from the hilltop provide a serene backdrop for contemplation and connecting with the divine. The hill is located at a short distance of 45 km and is blessed with scenic roads.
- Satpura National Park: A haven for wildlife enthusiasts, Satpura National Park promises exhilarating safaris amidst dense forests and diverse landscapes. Encounter the untamed beauty of the wild as you spot tigers, leopards, and an array of avian species just 35km from Pachmari. The park’s tranquillity and biodiversity make it a true natural wonder.
- Priyadarshini Point (Forsyth Point): Capture the essence of Pachmarhi’s panoramic beauty at Priyadarshini Point. Named after Captain James Forsyth, this viewpoint offers stunning vistas of the lush valleys and undulating hills located around 30 km from the main city. The sweeping landscapes provide a picture-perfect opportunity to soak in the natural grandeur.
Savaari customers verified places to eat in Pachmarhi
In the heart of India, where tradition and culture merge seamlessly, the cuisine of Madhya Pradesh and Pachmarhi reflects the diverse influences that have shaped the region over centuries. From aromatic spices to delectable street food, the food scene here is a gastronomic journey in itself. Whether you’re craving local specialities or international cuisines, the eateries in Pachmarhi provide a gastronomic journey that complements the beauty and diversity of the region. Let’s explore the flavours that beckon in Pachmarhi’s restaurants:
- Sangeet Restaurant, Civil Lines, Pachmarhi: Indulge in a culinary journey at Sangeet Restaurant, known for its diverse menu featuring Indian, Chinese, and Continental dishes. From piping-hot momos to flavoursome curries, the restaurant offers a comfortable ambience and an opportunity to savour local and global delights alike.
- Pandav Restaurant, Patel Road, Pachmarhi: Embrace the authentic flavours of Madhya Pradesh at Pandav Restaurant. Known for its traditional fare, this eatery serves dishes like Poha (flattened rice), Dal Bafla (a local speciality), and delectable Chakki ki Shak, made from wheat dough cooked with spices.
- Prem’s Restaurant, Sadar Bazar, Pachmarhi: Prem’s Restaurant is a popular spot for those seeking a mix of North Indian and South Indian cuisines. From crispy dosas to rich North Indian curries, the restaurant offers a varied menu that caters to diverse palates.
- Hotel Gurukripa Sadar Bazar, Pachmarhi: For a taste of local flavours, head to Hotel Gurukripa. This eatery specializes in regional delicacies like Bhutte ka Kees (grated corn cooked with spices) and Sabudana Khichdi (a dish made from tapioca pearls). The rustic ambience adds to the authenticity of the experience.
- Amaraa Restaurant, Patel Road, Pachmarhi: Amaraa Restaurant is known for its warm hospitality and an extensive menu featuring Indian, Chinese, and Continental dishes. Whether you’re in the mood for spicy Indian curries or crispy spring rolls, this restaurant caters to a diverse range of tastes.
Nestled in the heart of Madhya Pradesh, Pachmarhi is a captivating destination that seamlessly blends nature’s beauty with rich historical significance. Revered as a serene hill station, Pachmarhi is renowned for its lush greenery, cascading waterfalls, and panoramic viewpoints that offer breathtaking vistas of the surrounding landscapes. This tranquil haven is celebrated for its spiritual aura as well, with ancient temples like Jata Shankar and Chauragarh drawing pilgrims and explorers alike. What truly sets Pachmarhi apart is its unique combination of natural wonders and cultural treasures, making it a cherished retreat where modern travellers can connect with both the serenity of nature and the echoes of history.
History of Pachmarhi
This enchanting hill station is not just a destination for natural beauty but also a canvas that paints the stories of the past. One of its most significant historic and spiritual landmarks is the Jata Shankar Cave, a natural rock formation revered as the site where Lord Shiva concealed his matted hair. This spiritual connection has made Jata Shankar a revered pilgrimage spot, drawing devotees and curious explorers alike. Additionally, Pachmarhi’s historical significance deepens with the presence of the Pandava Caves, said to have been the abode of the Pandava brothers during their years of exile. These rock-cut chambers stand as a testament to the region’s mythological importance.
In modern history, Pachmarhi also played a role during the British era as a hill station offering respite from the scorching Indian summers. Colonial architecture and influences still linger, adding layers to Pachmarhi’s historical tapestry. From its mythological roots to its colonial heritage, Pachmarhi’s history unfolds like a mosaic, where each piece contributes to the allure of this picturesque hill station. As you explore its caves, temples, and landmarks, you’re not just witnessing natural beauty but also stepping back in time to the stories that have shaped Pachmarhi’s identity.
Interesting facts about Pachmarhi
In the realm of travel, misconceptions can often cast a veil over a destination’s true essence, obscuring its unique attributes. Pachmarhi, the serene hill station nestled in the heart of India, is no exception. While many might perceive it solely as a picturesque retreat, intriguing layers are waiting to be unveiled. Let’s debunk some misconceptions and dive into the lesser-known but captivating facts that make Pachmarhi a destination worth exploring:
- Myth and mystique: Contrary to common belief, Pachmarhi is not just a haven of natural beauty. The Jata Shankar Cave, for instance, isn’t merely a rock formation but is believed to be the place where Lord Shiva’s matted hair fell. This spiritual significance adds a layer of mystique to the cave and draws pilgrims seeking a deeper connection.
- Colonial footprints: Pachmarhi’s colonial legacy might surprise many. This tranquil retreat was a favoured summer destination during British rule, where officials sought solace from the scorching Indian summers. The architecture and influences from that era still echo through the town, offering glimpses of a bygone era amidst the natural beauty.
- Satpura’s ancient guardian: The hill station’s name, Pachmarhi, is thought to be derived from “Panch Marhi,” which translates to “Five Caves.” These caves are believed to be the abode of the Pandava brothers during their exile, connecting Pachmarhi to the epic tale of the Mahabharata. The intertwining of myth and reality adds an intriguing dimension to the destination.
- A biodiversity hotspot: While Pachmarhi’s vistas are captivating, their ecological significance is equally remarkable. It’s surrounded by the Satpura Biosphere Reserve, a UNESCO-designated site that showcases an array of biodiversity, including diverse flora and fauna. The hills and forests that charm the eye are also vital habitats for various species.
- The queen’s rendezvous: Pachmarhi isn’t just the “Queen of Satpura” for its breathtaking beauty. It’s also believed that Rani Pratap Keshari of Chhindwara used to visit Pachmarhi for a royal retreat, contributing to its royal moniker. The connection to royalty adds a touch of regal history to the hill station.
As you tread the tranquil paths of Pachmarhi, let these lesser-known facts enrich your experience. Beyond the picturesque landscapes, this hill station holds stories that bridge myth and reality, nature and history, inviting you to uncover its intriguing facets.
Planning a trip to Pachmarhi
Planning a trip to Pachmarhi requires a thoughtful approach to making the most of your experience. Begin by selecting the right time to visit, considering the weather and crowd preferences. Research transportation options – whether by road, train, or combination – and book tickets in advance for a smooth journey. Accommodation is crucial, so explore a variety of options that suit your budget and preferences. Make a list of must-visit attractions like Jata Shankar Caves, Dhoopgarh, and Handi Khoh and plan your itinerary accordingly.
Pack comfortable clothing, especially if you’re planning to explore the outdoors, along with essentials like sunscreen, insect repellent, and a first-aid kit. If you intend to explore Satpura National Park, ensure you have the necessary permits. A well-rounded plan that encompasses transportation, accommodation, attractions, and essentials will ensure an unforgettable Pachmarhi adventure.
How to reach Pachmarhi
As you embark on the journey to the picturesque hill station of Pachmarhi, understanding the routes and modes of transportation is essential to ensuring a seamless travel experience. Pachmarhi’s allure lies amidst the Satpura Range in Madhya Pradesh, and reaching this tranquil haven requires a well-planned approach. Here’s a comprehensive guide on how to make your way to Pachmarhi:
- By air:
The nearest airport to Pachmarhi is Raja Bhoj Airport in Bhopal, and Raja Bhoj Airport in Bhopal, which is approximately 195 kilometres away. From the airport, you can book a Bhopal Airport taxi to Pachmarhi, enjoying glimpses of rural Madhya Pradesh along the way. If you choose to take a taxi, you can also stop on your way to savour some of the local delicacies ensuring you make the most of your trip.
- By train:
The nearest railway station is Pipariya, about 47 kilometres from Pachmarhi. You can take a train to Pipariya from various major cities, followed by a road journey to Pachmarhi. Buses and taxis are readily available at the railway station to help you complete the remaining stretch.
- By road:
For those who enjoy road trips, Pachmarhi is accessible via well-maintained roads. Significant cities like Bhopal, Indore, and Nagpur are well-connected to Pachmarhi by both state-run and private buses. Driving your own vehicle or hiring a taxi allows you to enjoy the scenic beauty en route.
- Local transportation:
Upon arriving in Pachmarhi, you will find the town relatively compact, making it conducive to exploring on foot. However, to visit the various attractions, it is recommended that you hire local taxis. Many lodges and hotels also offer transportation services to facilitate your exploration.
As you prepare for your Pachmarhi adventure, understanding the available transportation options and planning your journey accordingly will ensure that you arrive at this serene hill station with ease. Whether you opt for air, rail, or road travel, each route offers unique experiences and scenic vistas, adding an extra layer of excitement to your journey.
The best time to visit Pachmarhi
The best time to visit Pachmarhi is during October to June when the weather is pleasant and conducive for outdoor exploration. The cool and refreshing climate of the hill station makes it ideal for enjoying the numerous natural attractions, such as waterfalls, caves, and viewpoints. The post-monsoon and winter months offer comfortable temperatures, making it perfect for trekking, sightseeing, and enjoying the lush green landscapes. This period also coincides with several local festivals and events, allowing visitors to experience the cultural vibrancy of Pachmarhi while revelling in the natural beauty that graces the region. Want to make sure you have the smoothest travel experience? by downloading the Savaari App.
Hotels and resorts to stay in Pachmarhi
As you plan your escape to the tranquil hills of Pachmarhi, finding the perfect accommodation is paramount to enhancing your experience. Pachmarhi offers a range of stay options, catering to different preferences and budgets. From cosy guesthouses nestled amidst nature to comfortable hotels that provide modern amenities, the town presents a variety of choices to suit every traveller’s needs. Here’s a list of some well-regarded stay options in Pachmarhi:
|Hotel Name||Distance from City Center||Contact Number|
|Glen View Resort||Approximately 2 km from the city centre||+91 9425024200|
|Hotel Pandav||Approximately 1.5 km from the city centre||+91 9826029707|
|Hotel Paradise||Approximately 1 km from the city centre||+91 9424312896|
|Amaltas Resort||Approximately 0.5 km from the city centre||+91 9826025766|
|Hotel Natraj||Approximately 1 km from the city centre||+91 9425162386|
These options offer a diverse range of amenities, from comfortable rooms to lush surroundings, promising a memorable stay. Whether you’re seeking proximity to the city centre or a peaceful escape, these choices cater to various preferences, ensuring that your accommodation enhances the tranquillity and charm of your Pachmarhi journey.
Savaari customer verified: Highest road trips taken from Pachmarhi
Situated in the heart of Madhya Pradesh, Pachmarhi not only showcases its natural wonders but also stands as a portal to captivating destinations within a 500-kilometre radius. The vicinity abounds with a rich assortment of landscapes, historic wonders, and cultural treasures awaiting exploration. Setting out on road trips from Pachmarhi reveals a mosaic of experiences, where every excursion weaves together adventure, tranquillity, and the joy of discovery. Delve into the selection of appealing road trip possibilities that await:
|Road Trip||Distance from Pachmarhi|
|Pachmarhi to Bhopal||Approx. 200 km|
|Pachmarhi to Maheshwar||Approx. 350 km|
|Pachmarhi to Jabalpur||Approx. 250 km|
|Pachmarhi to Sanchi||Approx. 230 km|
|Pachmarhi to Chanderi||Approx. 160 km|
In the heart of Madhya Pradesh, Pachmarhi stands as a sanctuary where nature’s beauty and historical echoes intertwine. This guide offers a compass to navigate the enchanting landscapes, serene viewpoints, and cultural gems that define this hill station. Whether you’re drawn to the mystical caves, cascading waterfalls, or spiritual sanctuaries, Pachmarhi promises a retreat that rejuvenates both body and soul. From planning your visit to discovering its history, exploring nearby destinations, and relishing local cuisine, each aspect of Pachmarhi invites you to immerse yourself in its tranquil embrace. As you journey through its misty hills, let our Savaari App be your travel companion, leading you to experience the harmonious blend of nature, culture, and serenity that Pachmarhi graciously offers.
Last Updated on September 16, 2023 by Shabari Shankar