The temple town of Shirdi, popularly known as Sainagar, is famous for its beauty and culture. Every year many pilgrims visit this town to seek the blessings of their spiritual leader, Sai Baba and find themselves at peace singing the bhajans in the temples. If you have ever read stories about Saibaba, you will find traces of them when visiting this town. Shirdi attracts millions of devotees each year. The number of footfalls rises during festivities. If you are looking to dive deeper into your inner spiritual self, then Shirdi is the place to be. Let us explore the town and all the things that you can do in Shirdi.
- Things to do in Shirdi
- Other attractions near Shirdi
- How to plan a trip to Shirdi
- About Shirdi
- Hotels in Shirdi
- Nearby road trips to take from Shirdi
Things to do in Shirdi
Here are some suggestions for activities to enhance your travel experience in Shirdi, Maharashtra:
1. Take a Leisurely Stroll in Lendi Baug Garden: Explore the serene beauty of Lendi Baug Garden, a popular tourist attraction in Dwarkamai. This enchanting garden is filled with vibrant flora and the delightful songs of birds. It holds great significance as Sai Baba used to visit and tend to the plants here. The garden, known for its sacred tranquillity, is a perfect place to immerse yourself in serenity.
Location: MH SH 10, Mauli Nagar, Shirdi, Maharashtra 423109
2. Indulge in Divine Prasad and Food at Prasadalaya: Experience spiritual nourishment by visiting Prasadalaya, the food-serving facility Sai Baba Sansthan operates. For just INR 10, you can enjoy a satisfying meal in this large hall that can accommodate 150 people at a time. The food served here is not only divine but also delicious. Take advantage of the opportunity to savour this meal while visiting the mandir. Prasadalaya is located approximately 1.4 km from the main Samadhi mandir. It is open from 9 am to 9 pm.
Location: New Prasadalaya Rd, Shirdi, Maharashtra 423109
3. Immerse Yourself in Sai Heritage Village: Visit Sai Heritage Village, a heritage-themed park dedicated to showcasing the life of Sai Baba and the people of Shirdi village. Admire the marvellous statues of Sai Baba and enjoy the various attractions for families and kids, including a toy train ride and ropeways. Remember to try the delicious food and snacks at the on-site restaurant. Sai Heritage Village is open from 9 am to 11 pm, and the entry fee is INR 150 per person.
Location: Ahmednagar – Manmad Highway, Shirdi, Taluka, Rahata, Maharashtra 423107
4. Experience Thrills at Wet N Joy Water Park: For an adventure-packed day, head to Wet N Joy Water Park, one of the most popular amusement parks in Shirdi. This exciting park offers a wide range of adventurous rides and games. Dive into the wave pools and indulge in thrilling water adventures. The park’s convenient location near the Sai Baba temple complex adds to its appeal. The entry fee is INR 350 per person from Monday to Saturday and INR 375 per person on Sundays.
Location: Near Sun-N-Sand Hotel Post Nighoj, Taluka Rahata, Shirdi, Maharashtra 423109
5. Relax by the Bank of River Godavari in Shirdi: Take advantage of Shirdi’s location on the banks of the majestic River Godavari. Spend some peaceful and quality time by the riverside, enjoying the tranquil flow of the river. The locals revere the river, and immersing yourself in its serene atmosphere can be a calming and rejuvenating experience. River Godavari originates from Trimbakeshwar, a village near Nashik.
6. Spend Quality Time with Locals In Shirdi: There are several houses that Sai Baba used to visit regularly during his bhiksha routine. Devotees eagerly awaited his arrival; some of these houses still exist today. Visiting these houses and meeting the residents provides a glimpse into the way of life during Sai Baba’s time. One such devotee’s house is that of Shree Mhalsapati, who is considered Sai Baba’s first devotee. Shree Mhalsapati’s grandson still resides there, maintaining the legacy.
Best places to visit in Shirdi
Shirdi Sai Baba Temple: Shri Sai Baba Temple is one of the most popular pilgrim places in the country. The temple premises were renovated with all modern-day amenities and necessary facilities such as Darshan Lane, Prasadalay, which serves lunch and dinner, Donation Counters, Prasad Counters, Canteen, Book Stall, Railway Reservation Counter and others.
Accommodation facilities are also available for devotees who visit the temple from far-off places. You can visit the temple anytime between 4 am to 11 pm. It is advised to check the timings of the Aarti and other programmes happening throughout the day before visiting the temple. For all the information related to Shirdi Sai Baba temple, check out this comprehensive guide.
Gurusthan: situated approximately 14 km from the main town of Shirdi, holds significant importance as it is the place where Sai Baba was first spotted by the world. It was under a neem tree at Gurusthan that a 16-year-old Sai Baba was discovered. Today, there is a shrine at this sacred site, featuring a portrait of Sai Baba along with a Shivalingam. Devotees strongly believe that burning incense sticks at Gurusthan can heal them from various ailments. With its spiritual significance, Gurusthan is among the top attractions to explore in Shirdi within a day.
Other attractions near Shirdi
Places to visit near Shirdi by booking a Savaari cab
- Shani Shingnapur Temple: Located around 70 km from Shirdi Saibaba Temple, Shani Shingnapur Temple is dedicated to Lord Shani and is known for its unique feature of having no doors or locks for the houses and shops in the village. Visitors can perform puja and seek blessings from Lord Shani.
- Working hours: 5:00 AM to 10:00 PM
- Entry fee: None
- Ellora Caves: Located around 100 km from Shirdi Saibaba Temple, Ellora Caves are a UNESCO World Heritage site and showcase a blend of Hindu, Buddhist, and Jain architecture. The caves have several intricate carvings and sculptures that depict the ancient Indian culture.
- Working hours: 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM (closed on Tuesdays)
- Entry fee: INR 40 for Indian citizens, INR 600 for foreigners
- Ajanta Caves: Located around 110 km from Shirdi Saibaba Temple, Ajanta Caves are a UNESCO World Heritage site and showcase exquisite rock-cut Buddhist cave monuments and frescoes that date back to the 2nd century BC.
- Working hours: 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM (closed on Mondays)
- Entry fee: INR 40 for Indian citizens, INR 600 for foreigners
- Nashik: Located around 90 km from Shirdi Saibaba Temple, Nashik is a city on the banks of the Godavari River and is famous for its historical and religious significance. It is home to several ancient temples, including the Trimbakeshwar Temple, which is one of the twelve Jyotirlingas in India.
- Working hours: Open 24 hours
- Entry fee: None
- Bhandardara: Located around 75 km from Shirdi Saibaba Temple, Bhandardara is a scenic hill station that offers picturesque views of mountains, valleys, and waterfalls. It is a perfect place for nature lovers and adventure enthusiasts. Bandhara also offers some camping options that are perfect for couples.
- Working hours: Open 24 hours
- Entry fee: None
Savaari customers verified: Best places to eat in Shirdi
Shirdi Saibaba Temple is not only a popular pilgrimage site but also a hub for food lovers. Here are some of the best places to eat here that offer delicious food at reasonable prices:
- Dwarkamai Cafe: Located within the temple premises, Dwarkamai Cafe is a popular eatery that serves vegetarian food. The cafe is popular for its breakfast items like puri bhaji, misal pav, and vada pav. It also serves thalis and Chinese food.
- Rajdhani Restaurant, near Saibaba Temple: Rajdhani is a chain of vegetarian restaurants that serves authentic Rajasthani and Gujarati thalis. The restaurant is near the temple and is famous for its delicious food and quick service.
- Sai Swad Restaurant, Near Sun N Sand Hotel: Sai Swad is a vegetarian restaurant that serves North Indian and Chinese cuisine. The restaurant has a comfortable seating arrangement and is famous for its delicious food and friendly service.
- Ahimsa, The Vegan Cafe, Opposite Gurusthan: Ahimsa is a vegan cafe that serves healthy and delicious food. The cafe has a variety of vegan dishes on its menu, including smoothie bowls, salads, wraps, and burgers.
- Hotel Sai Sahavas, Opposite Shirdi Saibaba Temple Nagar Panchayat: Hotel Sai Sahavas is a multi-cuisine restaurant that serves vegetarian and non-vegetarian food. The restaurant has a variety of dishes on its menu, including Indian, Chinese, and Continental cuisine.
How to plan a trip to Shirdi
Planning a trip to Shirdi requires careful consideration and preparation to make the most of your spiritual journey. It is important to choose the right time to visit, keeping in mind the weather and peak seasons. You should also book your travel and accommodation in advance, as Shirdi can get crowded during peak seasons. Research the temple timings and entry fees, and plan your meals accordingly, especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Additionally, it is advisable to pack comfortable clothing and footwear, as you will be spending a lot of time walking around the temple and the city. Finally, hiring a guide can enhance your experience, helping you understand the history and significance of the temple and its rituals. With proper planning, your trip to Shirdi can be a memorable and enriching experience.
How to reach Shirdi
Shirdi is a popular pilgrimage destination, and there are several ways to reach it. It is advisable to book your travel in advance, especially during peak seasons, to avoid any last-minute hassles. Here are some options:
How to reach Shirdi by Air
Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, Mumbai, is the nearest International Airport. Shirdi, from the Mumbai airport, takes around four and a half hours on average. You can book an airport taxi for a hassle-free transfer from the airport to Shirdi. There is an airport in Shirdi and you can check the availability of connecting flights. Other airports close to Shirdi are Pune, Aurangabad and Nagpur.
How to reach Shirdi by Rail
Shirdi Railway Station which is connected to the major cities of Maharashtra. This station is around 10 km from Sai Baba temple. You can also find trains from various major cities like Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Chandigarh, Lucknow, Kanpur, and Bangalore among others.
How to reach Shirdi by Road
Shirdi is well connected to various major cities by road. Shirdi is 216 km from Nasik, 188 Kms from Pune, 233 Km from Vashi and 238 Km from Mumbai. If you a looking to hit the roads to visit this temple town, then you can rely on Savaari. Book a cab from Mumbai to Shirdi or from any other city for a safe and hassle-free road trip experience.
Best time to visit Shirdi
Shirdi has pleasant weather throughout the year which makes devotees visit this place all year round. However, you can pick your time based on your preferences. The best time to visit Shirdi is said to be in the winter season i.e. between November and February. The temperature ranges from 12-27°C. This is the peak season and the city observes a lot of footfall during this time.
The temperature during the summer months of March to May ranges between 20°C and 42°C. The weather is pleasant during this time but it can get a little humid during the peak summer days. The monsoon months of June to September is ideal for those who want to avoid the heat. These months also observe many festivals which lights up the city beautifully. The temperature ranges from 23-33°C. Pro tip – Carry your rain gears and be prepared for the surprise showers.
Shirdi, situated in the Ahmednagar district of Maharashtra, is renowned as the residence of Sai Baba. This holy town is located approximately 122 km away from Nasik. Sai Baba arrived in Shirdi in 1858 and spent 60 years of his life there until he attained salvation in 1918. Known as the ‘child of God,’ Sai Baba dedicated his life to spreading the message of universal brotherhood. In addition to the main Sai Baba shrine, the complex houses various smaller temples, including Chavadi, Samadhi Mandir, and Dwarkamai. Another notable destination, Shani Shignapur, is situated around 72 km from Shirdi.
Shirdi Saibaba Temple is located in the Ahmednagar district of Maharashtra and is easily accessible by road, rail, and air. The road to Shirdi Saibaba Temple is lined with beautiful trees and long stretches of farmlands. You can also find various small food stalls that offer lip-smacking authentic Maharashtrian food that can give you a rich immersive experience of the state’s cuisine.
The history of Shirdi Saibaba Temple dates back to the 19th century when Saibaba first arrived in the town. He is said to have spent most of his life in Shirdi, where he preached and helped treated the villagers. Saibaba’s teachings have had a profound impact on people’s lives, and his followers continue to grow in number even today.
Quick facts about Shirdi
|Location||Rahata taluka of Ahmednagar District, Maharasthra|
|Area||13 km2 (5 sq mi)|
|Best time to visit||November to February|
|Weather||Summer temperatures range from 20°C to 42°C. Monsoons vary from 18°C to 30°C. Winter temperatures range from 12°C to 27°C.|
|Famous for||Shirdi Sai Baba Temple, Khandoba Mandir|
Hotels to stay in Shirdi
When choosing a stay option, it is important to consider factors such as location, budget, and amenities. You can also read reviews and check ratings online to get a better idea of the quality of the accommodation. If you are looking for a more traditional and spiritual experience, you can consider staying at a Dharamshala. These are typically run by charitable trusts and offer basic accommodation at nominal rates.
For a more personal and local experience, you can consider staying at a homestay. These are typically run by local families and offer a chance to experience the local culture and cuisine. Here are some popular stay options near Shirdi:
|Hotel Name||Distance||Phone Number|
|Sun-n-Sand||1.5 km approx distance from city centre||+91 2423 258 500|
|Sai Leela||0.5 km approx distance from the city centre||+91 2423 259 134|
|Hotel Sai Mahal Palace||0.8 km approx distance from city centre||+91 2423 258 288|
|Hotel Sai Miracle||1.2 km approx distance from city centre||+91 2423 258 233|
|Shri Saibaba||1 km approx distance from city centre||+91 2423 258 500|
Get on a spiritual journey and explore this temple town. Seek the blessings of the deity and find peace in the hymns and chants echoing in the temples. To ensure that your trip is safe, take a road trip to Shirdi. Download the Savaari app for sanitised cars and experienced drivers to take you from your city. Happy exploring!
Last Updated on June 17, 2023 by Shabari Shankar